Question on LCD monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twinpeaks, Sep 4, 2005.

1. omniscient

omniscient Guest

i have three dell 1905fp monitors. two are hooked up to the stock video card on my dell (one DVI and the other is on the standard port). the third monitor is on a matrox quad card (four 8meg standard ports).

two of the main charts i use are a market profile chart for the ER2 and one for the ES. i have the font setting at 5. i have one chart on the DVI monitor and the other on the matrox monitor. to me there is negligible difference. so basically, i've got my lowest grade monitor/video setup very capably holding its own with my highest grade monitor/video setup.

the DVI option is nice for flexibility and expandability, but having seen the minimal difference, i wouldn't let that feature limit my monitor options.

but that's my $0.02 :) ... your mileage will vary ...

hth

take care -

omni

#11     Sep 5, 2005
  2. Just got a Samsung 930B LCD and it's awesome. 700:1 contrast, 8ms. Running in analog, it's clear enuf for me. May not bother hooking up the DVI.

#12     Sep 5, 2005
  3. I purchased the incorrect dual card from ebay last year, it only has one dvi and one analog. (Matrox Millenium 550)

You guys make me feel much better. I have two Sony 21" CRT monitors, but I find them too hot and they heat up the room.

From what I am reading in this thread, I gather I can buy my dream monitors (samsung 191t's) and put them side by side on the this card and see no difference.

I went to Costco last night and they had all these bigger LCD TV's and they were less cost than two Samsung 191t's. Has anybody tried these TV's as monitors as they advertise PC hook up's?

Michael B.

#13     Sep 5, 2005
  4. No problem I run several Matrox G550 with lcd's. NO PERCEPTIBLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANALOG & DIGITAL.

#14     Sep 5, 2005
  5. Check the resolution on these before you buy. Also, LCD TV's typically have a 1 yr warranty while a good LCD monitor has 3 yrs.

#15     Sep 5, 2005
  6. I feel inadequate :(

Using two Samsung 17" LCDs @ 1280x1024 Analog and a 15" Thinkpad Laptop screen @ 1400x1050.

Man forget the contrast and response time, you're looking at graphs and numbers, get a CRYSTAL CLEAR SHARP monitor. From my experience there's only two companies to get, Samsung or Sharp. Both seem to have the best clarity I've seen.

I think 19" monitors will be easier on the eyes although they don't offer increased resolution over the 17" ones.

I'll probably upgrade to two 21" monitors when my P/L performance warrants:D

Good luck and look for those monitor rebates!

#16     Sep 5, 2005
  7. Something to keep in mind, DVI cables ain't cheap, they run about $50.00 and no LCD manufacturer that I know of includes them. Text is much crisper with DVI over Analog.

#17     Sep 5, 2005
  8. What is the diff between the 191t and the 930b? The 191 costs a good bit more but the two seem about the same. The 191 has a thinner form and is more adjustable. Is that the reason for the difference in the price?

#18     Sep 5, 2005
  9. How much is the 930B? and are the bezels as narrow as the 191T?

#19     Sep 5, 2005
  10. omniscient

omniscient Guest

dell does. or, at least they did when i bought my 1905fp monitors.

take care -

omni

btw: funny how the popular topics downshift a bit over a long holiday weekend ... we're not quite to the point of swapping lawncare tips or smoothie recipes, but it feels close :D

#20     Sep 5, 2005