Question on Installing Second Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by js11222, Jun 17, 2007.

1. when i was going to set up a dual monitor system using a cheap dell computer, someone at dell recommended that i use a model without onboard video. i ended up buying a prebuilt box from tradingcomputers.com. their prices have gone up, and i want to get a second (cheap) trading computer. actually want a quad-monitor setup (like the computer i currently use).

which dell models would work best for this? (remember, i'm a cheap SOB).

#21     Jun 23, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

Well, you probably don't want to go TOO cheap for a trading rig... If you want a new Dell, I'd suggest the Dimension 9200. If you get used, 9100, 8400, or 8300.

#22     Jun 24, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

That's not quite right. There are not "lots" that run 2 monitors from "one" plug. And those that do are really "dual monitor" cards which happen to be designed to use a special "Y" cable... and it's not actually a "splitter".

#23     Jun 24, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

You COULD have 8 monitors with 2 quad cards.... most decent computers can accommodate that.

#24     Jun 24, 2007
  5. fwiw, to get two monitors all I did was hook my old monitor up using the analog cable it came with. The monitor that came with the new Dell used a digital cable; the computer has both kind of outputs.

#25     Jun 24, 2007