Question on Installing Second Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by js11222, Jun 17, 2007.

1. js11222

js11222

The Samsung monitors have both kinds of output cables but they are analog.

Thanks again.

js

#11     Jun 17, 2007
  2. The_Z

The_Z

Check with your motherboard as it may NOT have a PCI express SLOT! Mine does not Have a PCI EXPRESS so, I had to get a regular PCI card in addition to the main AGP video card. If you motherboard is less than a year old, then it will likely have a PCI express...but if it is like mine 3 years old, it probably will not have a pci express...refer to your motherboard and even take the motherboard instruction book to your local computer center.

#12     Jun 17, 2007
  3. FWIW, I have 4 monitors hooked up to my Dimension - the video card is from Matrox - cost was $600.00, but they're supposed to be the best.

#13     Jun 17, 2007
  4. The_Z

The_Z

That is True...Matrox is the best in the industry for multi-monitor display. And yes, it is costly...so, since I like to save money I just got another video card and added it to the available PCI slot. If I get another monitor (making it 4) I will simply get another video card with one video out.

Here is my set-up as of a few weeks ago.

#14     Jun 17, 2007
  5. the z, I'm thinking about adding 1-2 more computers w/4 monitors on each or maybe 1 computer w/6 monitors. How much would the Nvidia cards cost?

#15     Jun 17, 2007
  6. dinoman

dinoman

First thing first is check to see if your current card has dual capability. Just because you have one output (plug) does'nt mean it is not dual capable. If it is you just need a spltter or Y cable some call it. If it is not Just get a basic Nvidia FX card for $110 at BestBuy and do it yourself. Just search the net on how to install a video card. There are tons of videos that expalin the whole step.
    It about as difficult as changing a baby's diaper.

#16     Jun 17, 2007
  7. 2 system with 4 will provide you a bit more security.. not having all your 'eggs' in one basket so to speak. If your single 6 monitor station fails, you lose 6 monitors and have nothing. If one of two stations with 4 monitors fail, you lose 4 and still have 4 running...

Depends on your tolerance for dowtime.

You can pick up decent nvidia dual dvi cards that do well for charts and general trading applications for under $75.00 each.

#17     Jun 17, 2007
  8. That's a good point, sax. The only thing with me is that I run e-signal and there's an extra fee to run on more than 1 computer. I'll probably end up buying a second desktop w/4 monitors and using Metastock w/Reuters feed. That way if e-signal has issues, I have a back-up or vice-versa.

#18     Jun 17, 2007
  9. The_Z

The_Z

For what your question was, A good Nvidia card with one out will cost under 50 bucks...so times that by how many you want to run.

And having a Spitter (Y CABLE) will not spit the screen to an independent screen but will only duplicate one of your monitors, which is NOT what you want. Trust me, I tried this...and I was like, "DUH". it is only splitting the same signal from the video card onto another monitor. So, I had to go out and get another card.

Note: Your primary video card should be a Dual Capacity video card with two outs (like my Geforce 7600 gs 256 mb ddr) and any other video cards will be secondary and can be your cheap-ass video card like a Geforce 5200...as it will only be connected directly to your extra monitors. So, if I wanted three more screens I would need to be sure I have 3 available pci slots and just buy 3 more video cards and plug them in! Then in my right click...Properties screen.....settings...I will see 6 display monitors!

Damn...this is making me excited! But, I don't need 6...yet!

Peace

#19     Jun 17, 2007
  10. dinoman

dinoman

This is only true if your video card is not a dual monitor card. There are alot of cards out there that will run 2 monitors without mirroring the original screen. And many of these cards only contain one output plug. They activate once the Y cable/adapter is applied and the property settings are adjusted. (along with the proper video driver update)

If I misread your post I apologise I just wanted to make this clear to all.

P.S. That cheap ass 5200 has done me wonders for years. I have other friends that have paid up the wazzo for more expensive cards for gaming and can't tell the difference between mine for performance or visuals. The quadro cards are to drule for though. Low CPU usage and still great quality visuals/performance!

Don't forget we are traders not gamers. Which I am still to be amused by for paying a tote load of cash for a better perfoming so called card which actaully delivers an astonishing difference for gaming. I have played the highest performing games on many different rating based cards and can barely see the difference.

#20     Jun 17, 2007