Question on emini margins

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by chrismontez, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I usually trade options on the OEX when I want to trade moves in the general market, but have been looking at the S&P emini's as they appear much more liquid for quick moves. I'm having a little trouble determining margin requirements on the S&P and Dow emini's. I have read where margin requirements were as little as $500/day on ES but thought I had also read where they were 1/5 the value of the index times the multiplier( which would be about $12,000 margin at these levels). I also don't see a difference in the margin requirements for being long or short. If someone has a minute and could set me straight on this I would appreciate it.

2. Depends on broker for daytraders, $500/car is very common, subject to change. See cme.com for overnight. Exchange sets overnight.

And for fucks sake, it is a performance bond!!!! Not margin!!! If you don't know the difference, don't fucking trade! If it was an oversight, all apologies!!!

3. Surdo

Surdo

ASSHOLE!

4. Not really surdo, just a big fucking pet peave of mine. Don't jump to conclusions so quick.

Do you have a marker at the table or margin? Big difference.

5. Surdo

Surdo

I understand where you are coming from, you could have expressed yourself with less four letter words.

The OP probably has $1500 saved up from his bus boy job, and is taking a cash advance on his credit card for the balance!

I take back the ASSHOLE comment.

el surdo

6. No it's not an oversight. I belive the performance bond is required to open a futures account, but that once the account is established margin determines the number of contracts you can trade.

To quote an emini trading website

"There are two types of margins in futures: the initial margin and the maintenance margin. The former is the required amount of funds that must be deposited by you before your positions are initiated. The latter is the minimum amount of cash/buying power required in order to keep your position open."

So I believe margin is an issue in trading eminis as it is in equites and options.

7. Surdo

Surdo

8. That is true, but I think you will the term margin used frequently by traders and even brokers. Below is a common published explanation of ES emini requirements. I was hoping to get a little more intelligent info from this thread than an arguement over word use.

E-mini S&P 500 Index Futures

Ticker
    ES

Contract Size
    $50 times e-mini S&P 500 Index futures price

Tick Size
    0.25 Index point or $12.50 per contract

Months
    March, June, September & December

Trading Hours
    From 5:30pm CT Sunday to 3:15pm CT Friday

Expiry
    Third Friday of the contract month

Rollover
    Thursday a week before the expiration Friday. The next contract month becomes the "lead contract" or the "front month." The new contract will be the day-trading vehicle from this day, even though the previous contract continues to trade until expiration date

Margin/Bond
    Exchange minimum: $3,563
    Maintenance: $2,850
    Day-trading margins can be as low as $1,700/contract, per your broker's requirements