Question on deciding on a domain name

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by proptrader11, Sep 3, 2010.

1. I am in the process of picking a domain name for my trade journal and wanted to get an opinion from anyone who is good with this. Two of the names I am interested in are 3 words and I am really trying to only go with 2 or 1 words. So here is my question....

Which domain would drive in more traffic.. For example let's say I wanted the domain ProTradingJournal.com. This is a long name which is to many characters and 3 words. So what if PTJ.com was available. Which domain would drive in more traffic? ProTradingJournal.com which when you look at the name you know exactly what it is or PTJ.com which you have no idea what is is but it's a short quick domain. I know there are studies and science behind this so I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

2. Stock

Stock

Domain names do not drive traffic at all. 99.9% of your traffic will come from search engines and links from other sites so the actual domain name doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is that it's relatively easy to tell someone over the phone what it is and they immediately know how to spell it.

There are no 1, 2, 3 or 4 letter domains available so you can forget those right off the bat. And most if not all of the good short-ish names are taken by squatters or lazy people that will never do anything with them so get used to that too (everyone knows this so nobody expects you to have the best possible domain name; refuse to pay squatting bastards).