question on buying a GAP UP

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Warrior4g, Jan 29, 2008.

1. if company XYZ reports bowout earnings and guidence.how many of you buy the opening gap up in a stock? what are some of your strategies regarding such a scenario?

2. 84% SUCCESS RATE GOING SHORT WITH THE RIGHT INDICATORS.

3. Dustin

Dustin

I suggest trying to bid for 1/4 to 1/2 position about 5 mins prior to open, then adding to the position on new highs at the open. That way you have a better average and can hold through any little swings. That would get you in stuff like ZMH and FTO today for a nice ride.

I don't currently trade this but had some success with it last year.

4. balda

balda

wouldn't 84% success rate apply to wrong indicators or no indicators as well?

5. I guess the indicators you use determines whether or not a gap up closes or keep on running :D

6. gnome

gnome

There are 3 basic "gap plays".... gap-n-go, gap-n-crap, and gap-fill-resume... a couple variations of each.

Sometimes you can make a better guess as to which it likely is. The rest of the time you need to figure it out as it develops.

I find "indicators" to be of little value.

7. "I find "indicators" to be of little value."

So did I till I found the right ones.:D

8. I don't like to go long a gap up on an earnings stock, but I do like stocks that gap above the previous days highs and find support there.

You may be better off trading a stock in the same sector and using the earnings stock as a leader (if earnings stock is up 5%, and related stock is flat to up 1%, buy the related stock, especially if the related stock has not yet reported).

9. balda

balda

actually when stock 1) gaps up 2) forms a base and than 3) breaks out from the base (basic plan to print money).

10. I agree. remember "buy on rumor, sell on news."

However we don't trade stocks on earnings day, way too risky. "Blow out earnings" - stock down 3 %, etc. Happens all the time.

FWIW,

Don

#10     Jan 29, 2008