Question on account minimums (namely tradestation and velocity)

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by shark, Jul 30, 2008.

1. shark

shark

Sup. So in my few posts on these boards I have learned not to ask that can be googled. However, I need some clarification on account minimums with Tradestation and Velocity Futures, and you guys would probably answer faster than customer service. Both of the firms require $5000 initial deposit to trade futures. I am wondering if they have a policy similar to IB, in which I can withdraw a good portion of my account, to below the initial minimum, and still continue to trade. I am trading mostly the ES, YM, and NQ. If at all, how far can I go below the initial minimum before I am no longer able to trade one contract of the above indexes?

Thanks for the help.

2. Wow... this is the beauty of futures trading right here. Wants to deposit the massive $5000 and then withdraw as much as possible but still trade a highly leveraged instrument.

This folks is why stocks have a $25k rule and why it would not surprise me if the CFTC/NFA enacted something similar in the future. It's not about penalizing the person that has $20k to trade, it's about keeping people like this out of the market. If you have trouble getting the $5k together, you should not be trading. It's really that simple.

Head to vegas and bet on red or black. It's about a 50/50 shot to double.