Question: if we liberated Europe in WW2...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TorontoTrader2, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Until the introduction of the radar, neither British nor later Americans could defeat the U Boats. At the beginning of the war they have sunk so many of the British merchant marine that it was beginning to effect UK.

As for the Africa Korps, Romel was defeated because he could not get supplies and not because the English were better at fighting. Anybody who is familiar with WWII will tell you that. The events in Norway, Greece, and Crete illustrated beyond dispute the superiority of German fighting machine v. the British.

The Germans did not finish off Britain because they decided to defeat the Soviet Union first. They needed their resources (oil especially) to continue fighting. The battle of Dunkirk eliminated 90% of British armor and they were not ready to repel the invasion in 1941. They got their asses kicked in northern France and in Narvik when they tried stopping the German invasion of Norway and that was before the Nazis invaded USSR.

#21     Nov 25, 2009

2. Yea right and I Trump should thank me for his empire because once I threw a 25c on his property and hence "helped" him get rich. Get real!

BTW. if all it takes is the US help (which in case of helping USSR was really, really insignificant) then why we could not win in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan ...... where a lot more military help was provided?

BTW. Sherman was worthless that part is indisputable. Compared to German Panther or Tiger (not to mention King Tiger), Sherman was designed to fight battles in Toys R US.

#22     Nov 25, 2009

3. First of all, the war started because Germany invaded Poland and not as you claim of Britain declaring war with Germany.

Both England and France declared war on the 3rd of September 1939. However, no fighting of any major scale took place. They had to declare war since both of them had military treaties with Poland. They were NOT however prepared to do any fighting. The battle plans were to use the Maginot Line to keep Germans at bay. No offensive actions were conducted. Nobody was aware that the way fighting was done during WWI was gone. Also, everybody wanted the Germans to fight the USSR which would surely weaken both parties.

Nobody knew what the outcome of the war would be. The Allies were in no position to re take Eastern Europe after WWII.

#23     Nov 25, 2009
  4. loza

loza Guest

This is bull crap. The war would have lasted maybe 20 years but the russians would have finished Hitler even if it cost them 50 million!!!! Hitler and that monkey Hirohito, made the biggest mistake alas Napoleon for invading Russia and bombing Pearl Harbor, if they had not, YOU would be speaking german by now.....

#24     Nov 25, 2009
  5. What makes you think I do not speak it? LOL

#25     Nov 27, 2009
  6. You speak with such aplomb and don't know the difference between Radar and Sonar. You can target U-Boats with depth charges even without sonar. Yes it is shooting blind so to speak but U-Boats were not invulnerable with or without sonar. US was building commercial shippers faster than Germany could sink them.

As to points you raised earlier. I don't have the time to list all the things US supplied Soviet Union (including such things as SPAM) but had US stayed neutral in WWII and done nothing to enter it Soviet Union would have been defeated and here is why. Because the war started so badly for Soviet Union, it was pulling divisions from the far east to fight germans. It does not take genius to realize that if Japan attacked Soviet Union it would be game over. Japan did not attack soviet union because US put an embargo of oil supplies forcing Japan to attack US instead.

Like I said before, direct US combat contributions in Europe during WWII were insignificant, but US was extremely important for supplying(augmenting) all the others with jeeps, food, tanks and airplanes and other stuff.

#26     Nov 27, 2009
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Both radar AND sonar were used against U boats.

Forced?
    The embargo was a big reason for their attack but I don't think they were "forced" to attack the US.

And like before, you're completely full of shit.

#27     Nov 28, 2009
  8. You are aware that VE Day is celebrated as great day in Western Europe, while it is not cosidered a great day in Eastern Europe because they got rid of one repressive regime, only to be forced to live under another?

#28     Nov 28, 2009