Question for you audiophiles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by promagma, Feb 10, 2016.

1. promagma

promagma

First off I'm a complete newbie at this....

Here's what I tried to do.

I have the Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 soundcard/speaker system

see specs here http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=47175

I've used it for years, and for listening to MP3 music as background music, or sitting-at-my-desk normal volume, it sounds simply awesome! I'm not even using it as a 5.1 system anymore - I just run a minijack cable from my laptop headphones output, into the subwoofer/amp, and then to only 2 of the 5 speakers. And it still sounds awesome!

So, my girlfriend loves the sound I get with such small speakers, and I figured I have 5 identical speakers, I can set her up with a couple of the extras, give her the gift of great sounding music. I think, it's not the subwoofer, just need an amp, so I bought a Lepy 2020A+ which should be more than enough to drive these little speakers. But the result sounds nothing like when the Creative amp is driving it. With Creative, the bass sounds thick, dynamic, has it's own twang and dynamic, if that makes sense. With the Lepy, the bass just sounds so flat and tinny. Playing with EQ on my laptop and the EQ knobs on the Lepy makes no difference, just more of the same terrible sounding bass.

The difference is not the subwoofer. At the volume I listen too, the subwoofer barely makes sound. The fact is, with my ear against the speaker, far away from the subwoofer, these little speakers sound awesome on the Creative amp and sound like laptop speakers on the Lepy. I'm thinking the Creative amp must do some DSP or something? What am I missing?