Question for the Technicians and Traders out there?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mschey, Jan 12, 2007.

If price is trading below the 50 Day MA, and rises and hits it, what should I do?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2007.
  1. SS or exit long at the 50 day MA

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Do nothing, the 50 day MA doesn't matter

19 vote(s)
    67.9%

1. NO such thing as "healthy" criticism.

If you want it to be healthy...then call it positive feedback! :)

As for your feedback, please include it. What other option or options should I include?

#21     Jan 12, 2007
  2. I dont believe there is a correct answer to this question. I've traded various moving average systems and each one had its own little rules and nuances. I personally would wait for a confirmed break. If its on a daily time frame, a full day close above the moving average before changing my position.

#22     Jan 13, 2007
  3. #23     Jan 15, 2007
  4. dac8555

dac8555

bingo. there are no hard and fast answers.

Simplification is good...OVERsimplification is bad.

#24     Jan 15, 2007
  5. dac8555

dac8555

WOW. i know i always give you a hard time...but that is the height of ignorance.

there is a very good reason why EVERY trading platform has moving averages. Look at any seasoned traders setup and you will see moving averages as a default 95% of the time.

I would say any trader that doesnt use moving averages to some degree is probably useless.

#25     Jan 15, 2007
  6. bighog

bighog Guest

Wait for the breakout above the 50. Odds are many eyeballs are on the same trade. Remember, as a small trader we all want friends, we want friends to enhance our basic TA trades.

A price rise above the 50 ma will possible have many short sellers stops in the area above the 50 ma, as those are hit price should give a trader a few ticks profits as a cushion in the new long. Correct? Ok, now you are in, you want more, but you realize this breakout above the 50 needs new longs to sustain the move because once the stops are run the new longs will need price to attract new longs to keep the move alive.

If no new suckers (opps), longs are attracted to the breakout, then price will fall back to the breakout spot and now will be viewed as support. Your STOP is where you entered, (mental, good real traders are experienced enough to honor mental stops ) if after the stops are run and your small profit goes puff.

OK, lets say you just scratched a long and price now has RETESTED the breakout. this is not a failed trade, it is simply a FILTER. you have just filtered the breakout and are looking for another breakout above the 50 ma. Many times a mkt will test a resist/support breakout 3 times before the tests attract the big boys/girls to throw in their orders and then it is off to the races. many small traders that lost on attempts by chasing the breakouts are now totally discouraged and sit in disbelief as the run takes off and leaves them twiddling the thumbs and kicking the pooch.

IF INDEED , price falls back into say a range after a false brkout, there is a good chance the price will go back and test the other side of the range.

have fun, but "be careful out there".... this is a couple tidbits about breakouts, there is more. .. :) :cool: :eek:

#26     Jan 15, 2007
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

PS, i read back and saw Dons posts............. We are on the same page. don knows his stuff. i am not a pro like him and i di Es, don is a stocks professional and gets to eat at all those great buffets in vegas. ... :D

#27     Jan 15, 2007
  8. moise

moise

I posted a trade using the 50 EMA.
    I have no idea if you day trade or not, but i suggest you stick to the 50 weekly EMA

Go long if close is above
    Sell when close is below

#28     Jan 15, 2007
  9. bighog

bighog Guest

then AFTER a nice leg did the deed, you watch for a retrace. many of the previous traders that lost a couple times on the false breakouts now were convinced the move was for real and now chased the mkt, they get filled just in time for a NORMAL retrace. "ya gotta love this game" MKTS like to run in 3 legs (Dons, power of three again ).

The mkt TALKS to you, listen and you will make money. DO NOT REINVENT THE WHEEL. Listen to the mkt, and then you will ride in style. .. :D

Anyone that says moving averages do not work needs to QUIT trading and reread Edwards & MaGee. i am not a math guy, but that is not to say math is not a science, it is. trading is more art form once the trade is filled.
    can it be easy, you bet. but it takes a lot of screen time.
    DONE

#29     Jan 15, 2007