Question for the Athiests

Discussion in 'Politics' started by athlonmank8, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Provided that we define nature in this particular instance as men with chisels.

#11     Dec 29, 2008
  2. Given 4 1/2 billion YEARS what could you accomplish?

you might even learn to trade :D

#12     Dec 29, 2008
  3. Hehehe,
    careful - remember you're asking a person who doesn't think there is anything like evolution or even evolving... :)

#13     Dec 29, 2008
  4. I'm not an atheist, but I can explain this to you from a scientific perspective - as simple as I can.

To answer your question about Mount Rushmore, yes, nature could in theory make faces like that. The probability of faces appearing on randomly structured terrain is very, very small, but since the earth is very large, there's allot of areas for this little probability to get a chance on so many places that in some cases it actually happens. An example of this is the native American face in Canada which you can see with Google Earth: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...38,-110.113585&spn=0.004895,0.009978&t=h&om=1

I know, not as detailed as the faces on Mount Rushmore, but had the earth been a hundred times larger than it is, we probably would have had many more, far more detailed faces like this.

The same logic applies to the formation of cells. Say for instance that the probability of a face appearing on random terrain is 1/1000000 (don't mind the numbers, I'm just pulling them out of my ass to make a point), and there are 1000000 places on the planet where they might appear, we expect to see one face somewhere on earth. Same goes for cells, say the probability for a cell to appear is 1/10000000000, and there are 10000000000000 places in the universe in which this might happen, we expect it to happen allot of places.

Obviously we can't say anything about the real probability of cells being formed as we don't even know how they are formed, but considering the size of the universe, the possibilities for it to happen - no matter the chances, should be quite large.

As soon as one cell with the ability to copy itself is formed, the road to highly complex creatures such as ourselves is clear cut. Each time a cell divides itself, small errors appear, so the copy is a bit different than the original. After a cell has doubled itself to a million copies with small differences in each, it is fairly obvious that those cells which are best fit for the environment will be the most likely to copy themselves the most. Give this process a couple of hundred million years, and you should expect to see cells that are highly advanced and fit for their environment.

This particular part of the theory of evolution is not theory, you can actually try out this error-and-advance way of evolving by yourself; write a program like this and see what happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qOBi2tAnI

What this program does is that it starts out with a rather simple form with the ability to regenerate itself with small random changes, in a given environment. After several generations, you will see it evolve highly complex seemingly intelligent solutions for achieving whatever it is programmed to try to achieve.

I've always wondered how you creationists explain how cells with the ability to regenerate themselves with small random errors do not think that cells over a time span of hundreds of millions of years would involve into complex creatures. As this is fact and not theory - as it's the very logic used in artificial intelligence technology - there's really not much room for denial.

To sum it up, when you point to one single point in the universe and ask me how I can believe that a human can appear naturally there at one point in time, I agree 100% percent with you; it is inconceivably unlikely and it's actually easier to believe that God put it there. But when we consider the entire mind boggling size of the universe, and the fact that complex creatures such as humans could appear anywhere in the universe, at any time, it is you that need to explain to me why it should not. Because basic logic and mathematical probability says that we should expect it to happen, just as we should expect to get six eyes on a dice if we roll it more than six times.

#14     Dec 29, 2008
  5. You sure it's not 4 1/3 billion years? Such a big number......Would love to hear how someone came up with that one.

Already did pal. Already posted regarding this one. 130% since sept.

#15     Dec 29, 2008
  6. yeah that's hilarious. Is there something wrong with you?

You putting words in my mouth?

I don't think you're wired up quite right

#16     Dec 29, 2008
  7. yeah sounds like the textbook definition to me:confused:

nature: men with chisels.

Ah yeah...in the revised version...

#17     Dec 29, 2008
  8. Alright sweet. So which part of the body was formed at once? The brain? Did it magically grow legs and walk? I mean the human brain isn't necessarily a rock. It's a little more complicated.
    You guys are telling me nature created the human brain? What magic formula did the earth come up with to make it? I'd love to know, since most of the same scientists who came up with the big bang theory and evolution IRONICALLY aren't smart enough to make one. But let's leave it to nature to do it, because that's so much more logical. We're smart enough to estimate to the billionth place...but we'll left it up to good 'ole earth to stick to the really tricky stuff.

Anyways, now that science somehow supports this crazy idea lets go for the rest.

Granted it would take the earth Billions of years to do it and the chances are ZERO (sorry 1 in a billion), but since there's always that glimmer of hope.....we'll move on.

NDE's. How does it happen and what's the scientific explanation for it? Seems to support biblical beliefs. Maybe we should ring Darwin up. See what his take is on the whole matter.

#2. The bible specifically explains the divide between Jews and Christians.

If the bible's wrong...how come these 2 groups of beliefs exist? Is Darwin's hand in that doing as well?

#18     Dec 29, 2008
  9. Science is the reason we know everything we know.

We don't know if there is a god or not therefore science cannot lead to knowing at this present time.

Anything in that brain of yours?

#19     Dec 29, 2008
  10. Then go to school. In the meantime, please be advised that arrogant strutting combined with blithering ignorance doesn't cut much of a favorable impression. Really.

Are you really this laughable or is this just parody?

#20     Dec 29, 2008