question for Super E

Discussion in 'Trading' started by birddog, Sep 23, 2002.

1. birddog

birddog

Gordon,

I looked at your charts - choppy as hell. What are they and what time periods are they.

Gordon I trade intraday and On the 15 min chart there were only 2 signals the whole day (from the 5ma)

1. short the open

2. Cover and go long around 10.24 - all the way into the close.

So I can't comment on your charts since I don't know what they are or what time periods. Anyway I am not SE so don't ask me - I'm just saying that for me it works.

#21     Oct 1, 2002
  2. Gekko: YOU SOUND LIKE BUD FOX!!

The value of an MA is like that of a trend line. If you draw a line and the market keeps on going through it each way, then you know the mkt's either

a.)Choppy
    b.)Thinks your MA is meaningless

Simple as that. Tough world out there. Did you read that ANYof my decisions were predecated on any moving average today. I bought a fucking breakout. A 2 year old can do that.

#22     Oct 1, 2002
  3. they were the ES, 15 min. charts, within the last few days.

#23     Oct 1, 2002
  4. i'm not talking about what you did today. i'm talking about the methods explained by "super_ego" when he first started posting here. go back and read his posts, you'll find they're nothing like what you did today.

#24     Oct 1, 2002
  5. Conditions change. People change. Each day, each play is both similar yet unique.

#25     Oct 1, 2002
  6. Sharp

Sharp

Okay, I'll chime in here.

I don't trade like super-ego or super_ego but I do like the 5sma. Here how I would use it Gordon.

First you posted 15min daily charts. I think that you need to use multiple time frames. (For day trading). If I was watching those stocks intraday I would also be looking at a 5min and a 30min chart. That will give you more conformation of a trend. To me, your charts show a stock that could only be scalped. For trends I like to see full 15min candlesticks above or below the 5sma in the same direction of the slope. With the 5sma sloping one way or another. See how in your chart the 5sma is kinda flat. Plus there is not really any candlesticks above or below the line in the same direction of the slope. Until I saw that I would just scalp the stock using the 5min chart.

I will post a chart from MSFT today. Notice how there are full candlesticks above the 5sma and the 5sma is sloping up. Thus, intraday up-trend. No need to scalp this, just enter and wait. If it keeps trending you make money. If it turns you get stopped but you still had to take the trade.

P.S. I'm watching the playoffs so some of this might be hard to read. Sorry.

Edit: I forgot to say that the bars need to be up or down in the same direction as the slope of the 5sma. (Green for up slopes and red for down slopes) 1 or 2 red bars above the 5sma would not signal an up trend. Same with green bars below the 5sma.

• msft.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    #26     Oct 1, 2002
  7. here's another example.....

as you can see in this chart, price was uptrending for a while and didn't even want to pullback. when it finally did, i believe SE would suggest we enter long (green arrow)..well then look what happened.....

#27     Oct 1, 2002
  8. Pabst

Pabst

I'd short that penetration of the MA.

#28     Oct 1, 2002
  9. Sharp

Sharp

Well, like I said, I don't trade like super_ego. I'm not big on buying at pullbacks. Knowing nothing but what you posted and everything else being relative, here is what I would have done if I was watching your stock.

I am thinking this is a 15 min chart? Remember this is assuming that all you can look at is the chart. Nothing else. I don't trade with only charts. This is also scalp trading. In and out. That is because I know nothing else but what your chart says. I might not look for the short depending on the stock, the day, ect, ect, ect..................................

P.S. Good Diamondbacks game so far.

#29     Oct 1, 2002
  10. :confused:

#30     Oct 1, 2002