Question for Scalpers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ER9, Nov 24, 2002.

1. ER9

ER9

I'm new to trading and am curious. If you buy 25000 shares of a small stock how often do orders of this size get completely filled and how long does it take?

2. I also have a question I would like to ask all the scalpers out there: If I put a limit order in to buy 51% of GE, should I route it directly to NYSE or should I use IB's SMART and hope TMBR will fill my whole order?

3. Pound

Pound

It depends on which stock you are buying. Are you talking about a penny stock?...or a stock that trades above 5 dollars?

Volume is important, also. Does the stock trade over 500k shares per day or is it thinly traded?

>pound

4. ER9

ER9

Nasdaq stocks in the $1-3 range averaging around 500k shares a day.

5. Pound

Pound

I am sure you could SNET preference a market maker for 10k shares and sit on an ECN simultaneously to get 25k shares total. I wouldn't hit a market maker for 25k shares all at once. He will probably short it to you and tank the stock to shake you out, if you are right about the direction of the stock.

If you trade that kind of size and plan to swing the position then why not scale into the stock?

>pound

6. It depends on the volume. I woulnd trade small stocks. Go for QQQ or more volatile such as BRCM instead. You'll get better and faster fills.

7. I once bought 35% of IBM via TMBR, but they broke the trade.