Question for European Traders on Internet Access

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by barracuda, Apr 19, 2004.

1. izeickl

izeickl

Not a bit, if they are, its outwith my ability to sense it or affect my trading.

#11     Apr 19, 2004
  2. barracuda

barracuda

I'm on Tenerife. I moved here in August last year for a couple of years. I'm paying 900 euros per month (all bills included) for a farmhouse ioverlooking Puerto de la Cruz in the north.

That´s a good price, any advice on working out tax issues?

#12     Apr 19, 2004
  3. damir00

damir00 Guest

is that throughout paris or are some arrondisements better than others?

#13     Apr 19, 2004
  4. man thats great! whats the population over there like? any americans? western europeans?
    Your rent should get cheaper in a few months as dollar starts kicking ass :)

#14     Apr 19, 2004
  5. very glad to hear that, that seemed to be an issue few years back.

#15     Apr 19, 2004
  6. I guess it all depends where you are in Europe and what ISP you have. I don't know about Spain but I think France, Belgium, the Netherlands , (Germany) have very good cable infrastructure and ADSL is available almost in every city. In the UK which has a better tax situation, it appears to be a bit patchy, ADSL is available almost everywhere through dozens of ISP's but cable only in a few areas., but ADSL speed is always 512K. I had a tough time finding cable in London and my connection here is THE worst POS I have ever had, last year when I was in the South East on cable and it was almost flawless with different throughput from 128K to 600K. Still on the continent cable is at 1Mbps, even 3Mbps + at the same cost. Now that doesn't make a lot of difference in real life. But it helps if you are not a frigging scalper.

And to answer your question , you certainly do not need a T1 line if you get a reliable and fast connection which you should get if you opt for cable. The delay is insignificant then , I used to daytrade eminis on cable and always got the price I saw on my quotes, at worse one tick slippage.

#16     Apr 19, 2004
  7. everywhere in paris + the neiborhoods.. also in some others big cities. u also have cable from 640 to 2048 kb/s if you want a back up connection.

#17     Apr 19, 2004
  8. mmillar

mmillar

The population in the north of Tenerife is about 50% German, 40% British and 10% Spanish. In the south I think there are 60-70% British, 25-35% northern Europeans and 5% Spanish. There are no Americans apart from the odd tourist.

I certainly hope the dollar picks up cause it does make a difference.

#18     Apr 20, 2004
  9. Here in Germany I have a 3mg/s (dont know how fast your T 1 is)
    it costs about 50€ a month.
    There is even talk of a l3ss then 40€ a month, all at flat rate.
    The DSL system in Europe mainland is very good. Some of the new countries coming in also have great taxes, Slovakei for example (if I remember well ) has a flat rate of 19% for all taxes.
    and also there leaving expenses are much lower then say Germany.

#19     Apr 21, 2004
  10. Yosemite

Yosemite

I Think that barracuda is talking about a dedicate T1.
    This iis somenthing that allow you to connect trough a VPN to the broker server.
    If this is what you are lloking for you need to talk to your broker and see wha kind of arrangments he has, but we are talking about some $4,000 monthly as far as I know.

Anyway, I do not understand the sense of having that, even a faster line does not give you faster executions.

Choosing the right connection is as importantas choosing broker and paltform, but you may ask for a low latency connection ( that is typical of the 128K europan ISDN)

yosemite

#20     Apr 21, 2004