Question for ET Landlords

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yeayo, Feb 23, 2006.

1. yeayo

yeayo

Okay well some cities only allow increases up to only 50% of CPI increases so thats about 2% a year. So now if all landlords followed the law, then theres basically no incentive to maintain, repair, and rennovate the housing stock - because your money's better off sitting in the bank. Besides this tenant agreed to pay the current rent. He found it to be a great deal in a great location enough to sign a lease - a legal contract to pay the amount he agreed to. Him and his girlfreind make about 175k. Now he wants the nanny state to force the landlord to lower and subsidize the rent that he aggreed to pay. Furthermore, the law was never intended to help people like him (who just moved in) but to help low income people who've lived in an area a long time.

#11     Feb 24, 2006
  2. ktm

ktm

Maybe he sue the tenant for breach of contract?

#12     Feb 24, 2006
  3. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

fuck em.

burn the place down when the pikers are at home.

collect on the insurance money and move on elsewhere.

yours

liberal loving fred :D

#13     Feb 24, 2006
  4. Maybe accidently he left the gas oven and stove on lit a candle and went to a local watering hole forgetting about the stove while the tenants were home.

That would solve his problem.

#14     Feb 24, 2006
  5. Yeah, right.

Illegal rents under rent control. If you find out that your rent is higher than the legal rent set by the rent control ordinance, you should contact your rent control board. You can file a complaint with the rent control board to get the rent lowered to the correct amount and to recover the amount of illegal rent you paid. Contact your local Legal Services program, a private attorney, or your local tenants organization for help. You can also get your overpayment back by taking it out of future rent payments. Cite: Chau v. Cardillo, 250 N.J. Super. 378 (App. Div. 1990).
    http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/rent/tenantsrights.cfm#illegalrent

#15     Feb 24, 2006
  6. once again,
    the chickenshithawks crackers are mouthing off instead fighting for your enemies in the middle east. always letting the minorities do your dirty wks motherfuckers.

#16     Feb 24, 2006
  7. I hate to bring it up but your father knew or should have known what he was doing when he was buying the property in a town that had adopted rent control. If he did not like it he should not have bought the property or should have bought it elsewhere.

He broke the law and he got caught, I am sure every landlord hates rent control and every tenant loves it, that does not make the law any more or less valid. The law is the law. How about a little personal responsibility you people love so much to talk about. You break the law, you get caught, you pay the price.

PS, your father could have requested a hardship increase if he believed he was not making a "fair return" on his investment.

Hardship increases. Rent control ordinances allow landlords to apply to the rent control board for a hardship increase. A hardship increase is an additional increase, beyond the regular annual increase, if the landlord is not making a “fair rate of return” or “fair return.” However, courts have said that towns can limit the landlord’s profits to amounts that are fair even if the profits are less than the landlord wants, or less than the landlord could get by investing money elsewhere.
    http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/rent/tenantsrights.cfm#hardshipinc

#17     Feb 24, 2006
  8. i hope cityhall double fine yuour dumbass padre.

#18     Feb 24, 2006
  9. GTG

GTG

I really hope that in addition to enlisting the expert legal advice available on Elite Trade, that you're Father is going to get a lawyer to help him out with this...ASAP!.

It seems to me that a lot of people just wait and see how things work out before getting an attorney. Then, they only get the help once they find out that they are completely screwed. By that time it is often hard for the attorney to do much.

Especially with small local government agencies and boards. You come in with an attorney from the very beginning of your communications with them so that they know you're serious. A lot of times they have limited money budgeted for legal expenses themselves and so would rather just have you go away. Think about it this way. The last thing a bureaucrat or (unpaid) board member, wants is to make their jobs more difficult by fighting with someone who is well-prepared. You don't end up working for the city government because you are a go-getter and a fighter after all...

#19     Feb 24, 2006
  10. I lived in New Brunswick, NJ one summer and right after college. NJ is very renter friendly/ landlord unfriendly. I lived there in the late 90's; I don't know how helpful my opinion is. I understood that it could take quite a few weeks for a landlord to legally kick out a tennant due to lots of legal red tape. Several people that I knew of had jerked the hell out of their landlords. Rents could only go up a certain percentage each year for renters renewing leases. As I think of it, it took at least 10 weeks for my landlord in Hoboken to boot out one of my roommates for non- payment. The guy did not even have a lawyer like the renters from hell that you mention. My suggestion is to make the renters lives intolerable without resorting to violence. Good luck.

#20     Feb 24, 2006