Question for AHG Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vingbel, Sep 5, 2008.

1. V,

None of what you mentioned plays a role in our trading the key is in the big picture not in the microscope.

Anek

#31     Sep 7, 2008
  2. vingbel

vingbel

Anek,

When you say you don't need 3BR any longer, do you mean you don't need 3BR with their open and close OR you do you mean you don't use 3BR at all to ENTER and EXIT?

In AHG 1, you used to use them to help find entries on retracements within in the trend. Is that no longer true?

If you've changed, what do you use now and how do 3BR play into it?

Also, I was surprised at your response to my second set of questions. When I watch the 10K bar print, I can't help but notice how fast it's printing. Also, if the bar doesn't cover much of a range (the H/L,) I can't help but notice that, too. That the price is consolidating at that 10K bar.

But if I should be ignoring that or I'm misinterpreting it's meaning, I'd love to be corrected now! Or if not corrected, gain a better understanding of what I'm seeing.

Thanks,
    V

#32     Sep 7, 2008
  3. V,

I meant, you don't need open and close to play 3BRs correctly and I no longer use them. I use new methods that are faster that I won't discuss in public because I don't want "fill fights".

Yes, I understand what you meant about the printing speed and/or range of the volume based bars, still, I only use them to determine support and resistance.

Anek

#33     Sep 7, 2008
  4. vingbel

vingbel

Okay, so the way I understand it:

You still use 3BR in your decisions about when to enter and exit in retracements (3BR without open and close,) BUT now you ALSO incorporate new methods to enter and exit. In other words, you've developed other techniques to fine tune the 3BR method.

OR are 3BR no longer relevant to AHG?

Also, if I'm following correctly, your volume bars are now ONLY used for S and R, not for entries and exits? Hence, you don't care about their print speed and range?

I guess I thought that was a way of incorporating momentum into the equation. But it sounds like momentum is incorparated by what's happening in your 1 second and 5 second charts which are see PA as a function of time with volume beneath?

And just think, I haven't even started asking any real questions about S and R, trend lines, and HH/HL which are/were huge in AGH!

#34     Sep 7, 2008
  5. kingjelly

kingjelly

Anek,

Your patience with those who don't take the time to keep up to date on what you have said, now an in the journal is amazing to me.
    //
    Anekdoten

08-05-08 10:34 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from Floyd Roberts:

Hi Anek,

You mentioned that you don't use 3BR's. What method do you use for entries? Do you have a specific entry pattern? Thank you.

Floyd
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3BRs are fine, just a tad slow for my taste.

I like to search for "stop runs" in the 1 minute chart, not only for scale ins but for scale outs.

If you got no idea what I'm talking about I invite you to open a 1 minute chart, load a basic volume indicator and watch what volume does at the extremes when a side gets stopped out due to a harsh move.

Give it time and it will come to you.

Anek
    //

Good Trading,

Preston

#35     Sep 7, 2008
  6. vingbel

vingbel

Preston,

Thanks for adding to this thread, even if you started out with a barb!

It seemed to me from Anek's answer to my previous post that there was still plenty of merit to the 3BR, but that he had a new view of it. I'm trying to draw out one of his thoughtful answers to my question.

Now, in reference to what you posted, do you interpret Anek's answer to mean that he enters and exits based on the one minute chart's climax volume? (Still using the 10K chart as S/R.)

Anek, I still hope you answer the original question. Thanks.

#36     Sep 7, 2008
  7. I don't use 3BRs for entries, I examine volume on the 1 min chart and 5 sec chart.

Anek

#37     Sep 7, 2008
  8. kingjelly

kingjelly

vingbel,

I apologize for being a bit snippy this morning.

In the interest of being more positive I will post a suggestion to those who like AHG and want to practice and trade real time, build capital etc., but have a full time day job.

Now, this requires getting an account with IB (i think, haven't seen it offered at other brokers), but I haven't had a horrible experience with them. There is an instrument symbol STW (MSCI Taiwan) on the SGX exchange that is pretty trendy (AHG works well on it), and plenty liquid for 1-10 contracts. The specs are like ER2 ($10 tick, $100 point). Starts trading at 7:45 CST.

Of course it will take longer than doing it full time. I study charts at lunch and every free moment I get in addition to the nightly trading session. It might take several years to get good with this part time method, but you can do it with the safety of your day job.

If you can't master making money on this instrument then you might not want to quit your day job just yet.

Just a suggestion from a wannabe full timer, take it for what its worth or not worth.

I have attached tonights action so far, on 200 CV bars

Good Trading,

Preston

#38     Sep 7, 2008
  9. I might be accused of not fully reading first jornal but where is the version 2. and 3? I know it's now private but was curious. I think I was to the chat room once several months ago...back when Henry was documenting it. I also have a full time time but flexible to place few trades in the monring

#39     Sep 7, 2008
  10. vingbel

vingbel

Anek,

It sounds like your methods have evolved quite a bit.

1) Is it correct to say that you now use a one minute TIME chart (and 5 minute chart) to determine entries and exits? If so, do you still use the normal formations/patterns on those charts (like 3BR, double bottoms, etc.)?

2) Or do you concentrate on the 1 minute's chart climactic volume peaks and check to see at what price those climactic peaks occur? i.e, "stop-run." Unless I'm not defining stop run as you are.

So the 10K charts are used to:

3) Establish S/R based on H and L?

4) And those highs and lows would, by definition, be part of these 3BR or longer reversals?

5) Do you still use the 3BR as retracement entries? Harking back to your earlier days: Buy the dip on the uptrend, short the pop on the downtrend?

Preston,

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting ready to go live and checkin' everything twice. I'm in no rush.

I guess you recommend IB as a broker. What software do you recommend? I working with different ones deciding which best fits my style. I think Anek used to use Tradestation, but now uses Ninja. And no I haven't searched the forums to look for the answer! Also, in terms of learning just a few markets, for futures, I've been concentrating on ES. I may expand, but not too much too soon.

#40     Sep 7, 2008