Question for AHG Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vingbel, Sep 5, 2008.

1. RL8093

RL8093

IMHO, you do yourself a great disservice. In Anek's original journal, he helped a number of people by providing a foundation for trading using price analysis / chart analysis. He was a successful trader before starting the journal & continues to be one even as his methodology has evolved. A changing / evolving process can:

- continue to improve performance
    - help stay in sync as the markets change
    - fine-tune a methodology to more closely suit one's personality
    - keep a trader invigorated as he/she continually looks to improve (& help avoid the boredom traps)
    Wow. Personally I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from continually solving the puzzle of the mkts. In addition, the remuneration I receive when I am successful with the puzzle, helps to provide a good standard of living for my family.

Being upset because "... people are no longer follwing the "obsolete" version..." is hard for me to understand. Who cares what anyone else is doing if you are prospering?

If you do not start learning to see / feel the price action through your own eyes, I strongly suspect that you will have difficulty trading and/or progressing to new levels. Being a follower is rarely an approach that has high odds of success..... :eek:

R

#21     Sep 6, 2008
  2. vingbel

vingbel

Anek,

I looked at your chart and it looks quite different from your charts on AHG.

Here are my questions so far:

1) What do the different colors of your bars indicate? It looks like you still use four colors. Light and dark red and light and dark blue. Can you tell me what determines the colors?

2) You don't plot the open and close of each bar anymore. Just the highs and lows. Did you find that the open and close of each bar has no significance? Or is coded in there by the color?

3) How do you calculate your pivot points? Or are they just part of the obvious resistance/support that appear using PA? Do they come from a higher time frame?

4) What anchor charts do you use? Do you still end up basically using two charts for time frames or have you expanded to more?

5) Can you post your exits and entries on one of these new charts?

Thanks again for joining this thread.

vingbel

#22     Sep 6, 2008
  3. G,

AHG 1 is not obsolete, it will get you on the right track, the right mindset, it's a good method and an excellent starting point.

I was just being descriptive when I mentioned AHG 2 and AHG 3 to explain that the project did continue but in private.

To be quite frank the current members of AHG, the hard working ones who graduated from the newbie days, burned me out so everything I taught after the journal is now private, I no longer got the energy for a subsequent journal or new members, I just don't, so the channel is now 100% locked and I'm not accepting new members, not even old members siblings. In fact, if I dont 'see them working their asses off, I kick them out permanently, as I have done in the past and the present so as weeks go by the user list is smaller and smaller.

Anek

#23     Sep 6, 2008
  4. 1) Two colors, the regular ones, I could do without them just standard stuff.

2) Price is continuous from daily open to daily close, we all look at different charts, different data streams, use different software, intraday bars open/close IMHO are a distraction, so took them out.

3) Pivots come from my anchor chart, 100k in ES, 10k in NQ, multi days of course. How to determine takes a whole new journal, and I'm not prepared for that anymore.

4) Yes, I use 1.5k (intraday)/10k(anchor)/1min(volume exhaustion)/5sec(the tape) in NQ and 10k(intraday)/100k(anchor)/1min(volume exhaustion)/5sec(the tape) in ES.

5) I did post the entries and exits, the diagonal mini line is it.

Anek

#24     Sep 6, 2008
  5. RL,

Great post, thank you for writing this it saves me some time.

Anek

#25     Sep 6, 2008
  6. vingbel

vingbel

Thanks for your answers, Anek.

I agree with RL that reading AHG is helpful even if your methods have changed since then.

I'd like to see PA through my own eyes, but I'm wise enough also to know that I should learn from those who've already taken the journey. To that end:

You're saying you use a time based chart to help determine what's happening with volume? The 1 minute and five second chart for ES?

I guess you must have found this to be useful at some point in your journey?

Also, I was happy to see that you dropped the four colors and the open and close on you bar charts. I have found that they don't help (though I'm in no way an authority.) But I keep coming across definitions about 3 bar reversals that include the open and close, so I've been clinging to them.

In terms of pivots, I understand that this could take an entire journal to explain, but does the way you determine them relate closely to S/R over the last fews day?

#26     Sep 6, 2008
  7. Hi Anek,

good to see u r post..i was one of the first reader of u r journal..learn a lot of price pattern stuff from you. did it help me in short term no, but hope it will help in long term. c

with full time job hard to day trade.

whats u r thought on trading EOD with u r methods.

at least reading through 100's of pages and spending 100's of hours has made me a good chart reader to some extent.

still searching for holy grail and system testing.

i wonder who all are still on AHG, there was a guy who created the docs charlie or some one is he still doing..
    wonder how many old timers are there.

came to elitetrader after a long time looking for butterfly net by mike parnos

#27     Sep 7, 2008
  8. vingbel

vingbel

Anek,

I have something of substance for you to discuss.

Two practical/theoritical issues that no one has really questioned you about in all these threads.

Two concepts at the core of trading using PA with charts.

Two concepts at the core of your method that demands some attention.

1) The time element in your constant volume bars. How long they take to print.

2) The length of your constant volume bars.

My belief is that this is a major part of your strategy as a trader who trades intraday. That's why you no longer need candlestick bars.

If you have time (and I get that it would take a journal,) can you explain how those two elements determine when to ENTER and EXIT.

In reference to concept one:

Does the actual time it takes for that bar print to print influence your entry and exits? Correct answer for software, hardware and Internet connection.

In reference to concept two:

If the 10K bar isn't long, then the price is consolidating? That's a question, by the way. How does the length of the bar play into your decisions?

Again, I appreciate your posting here. To update everyone and to talk about some concepts that might have been overlooked.

#28     Sep 7, 2008
  9. The reason for the volume based charts is because they help me identify support and resistance with ease.

The reason for the 1 minute chart is because I can read volume at critical points with much more clarity using it.

The 5 sec chart, as explained earlier, is my version of the tape, and I only use it at key levels to see if I can spot anything that might help me find the winner of the battle, key levels tend to produce consolidation.

You don't need open and close to spot 3 Bar Reversals, they are all about highs and lows not open and close. I personally don't use them anymore, I consider them too slow and I now know how to be faster than them, still many traders trade them successfully.

Pivots I decide on my own based on past price action on multiple layers of data, no formulas, no market profile.

Anek

#29     Sep 7, 2008
  10. Hi Bill,

I remember you.

Yes full time job and daytrading is a tough call unless the job is flexible enough that allows you to watch the markets.

I think you are talking about Henry, he was the one who documented AHG 1, a great friend now, I'm happy to say he is approaching master trader status, makes thousands of dollars a day in cash without breaking a sweat, no exaggeration, although he is way too humble for such a claim. He is one of the "officers" and still documenting but at this stage we collectively decided to keep everything at a level that is private. If I'm the heart of the community Henry is the lungs.

Anek

#30     Sep 7, 2008