[QUESTION] - Backtesting Advice For a Beginner With No Coding Experience

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Tall Mike, Jun 26, 2020.

1. For all my grousing about TS, their backtesting app is reasonably decent. But note that you'll need to learn EasyLanguage to use it effectively. :thumbsdown:

#51     Jun 27, 2020
  2. He's already missed 1+10-10+1=2, or its trading equivalent, in his FX journal; I figure life is cruel enough to him as it is. Oh, and his take on options was just... precious. I hope he keeps posting here; trading comedy, especially when unconscious, is in short supply.

#52     Jun 27, 2020
  3. Overnight

Overnight

I missed that bit.

#53     Jun 27, 2020
    themickey and BlueWaterSailor like this.
  4. I am a programmer, statistician and mathematician. Your assumption that no backtesting platforms have either the ability or the desire to detect and steal successful systems is naive. At best.

#54     Jun 28, 2020
  5. As it happens, so am I. And your assumption - if we're going to assign such things - that all backtesting platforms do so is at least as naive as the false one you've assumed I hold.

Now, you want to actually find out what I think? Or you want to play silly-ass games? I would think the latter would be beneath anyone who can actually think.

#55     Jun 28, 2020
  6. What does a mathematician or statistician have to do with knowing if a broker has written a piece of code in their closed-source software to steal trader's system?

Anything is possible. Unless you have reverse-engineered the software or have the source code of the software, it's better not to make conclusions.

#56     Jun 30, 2020
  7. Nothing. But it has everything to do with ridiculous statements made in those domains. Whether a broker has inserted such a piece of code into their platform is a separate discussion; one that is not made better by those ridiculous statements, especially when they're used as "proof".

Agreed - as long as that's applied to all conclusions, whether negative or positive. "Don't know the answer" is not equal to "since we don't know the answer, there must be an evil dark conspiracy that will steal all our money and rape our pets".

#57     Jun 30, 2020
  8. 931

Exactly, thats about right to sum human nature up.

#58     Jun 30, 2020