Question and opinion about Financial Transactions Tax or Tobin Tax

Discussion in 'Options' started by TimeCorrosion, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Let's indeed hope it would be so. If you really think about it, you will see that the market makers will widen the bid/ask to cover their tax expenses, and everybody else will not only pay for the widened bid/ask and hence market makers' tax, but also their own tax as well. So, this is really a double tax for everybody else. This is doubling the speed on the high way to hell.

#11     Dec 28, 2009
  2. rwk

rwk

Are you sure about that? I have read though the draft bill several times, and I am not seeing any exemption for Goldman.

#12     Dec 28, 2009
  3. gkishot

gkishot

Do you think it's conceivable to put GS out of business?

#13     Dec 28, 2009
  4. rwk

rwk

I think it unlikely. If GS is opposed to this, it's hard to imagine it happening. GS could respond in two ways: 1) get an exemption for themselves, or 2) defeat the measure. I would think the second would be easier to achieve and would better serve their interests. GS doesn't see individual traders as a threat so much as a source of revenue. So far, I know absolutely nothing about what they will do, if anything.

I believe all the big players prefer the market just the way it is, rather than the chaos this proposed tax would undoubtedly create. And I believe the big players will lead and finance the fight when the time comes. All the "calls to arms" I am seeing on ET are doing more harm than good. ETers are impossible to organize, and all together we're mouse nuts to the big players and the government. Keeping up a steady drumbeat about this bill just keeps public attention on it, and the public is already royally pissed off.

#14     Dec 28, 2009