Question about Wharton MBA

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lasner, Apr 25, 2008.

1. You are going to have score really high on the GMAT to offset your low GPA. Take a review course like Kaplan if you have to.. If you had to work your way through school that can be a good excuse. Beats the other story I was to busy drinking at frat parties to be to bothered with school. At lot of things can be overcome.

#11     Apr 25, 2008
  2. lasner

lasner

Yeah getting into Wharton is going to be a bitch. The funny is I got straight A's up until my junior year of college...then after that I just fucked off. What an idiot I was....if I had it all to do over again.

I was thinking about enrolling at the U OF D'S MBA. Getting straight A'S then trying to transfer to Wharton.

#12     Apr 25, 2008
  3. fuck Wharton.. its not all that special as you think it is.. I know so many idiots that have came out of there.

My father, who is one of the genius business minds ever dropped out of college. Had he applied for any business schools, he would've been laughed at.

Business schools = theory/mindless details = the nerd type.

Business = getting shit done and making money.

Two different and varying objectives. And don't let me go on about the damn "Phds" they have teaching buziness.

#13     Apr 25, 2008
  4. Further examples of how baseless or predictor our education system is:

The secretary at our pvt equity firm I worked at = Harvard (ivey league) grad. (They make great secretaries with their extensive knowledge of vocabulary, grammer and writing dictation etc)

Our boss, who is running the show = barely survived a no name state college with a C average.

#14     Apr 25, 2008
  5. lasner

lasner

A lot of people with secondary degrees have really made it.

A kid I grew up with started forexfactory.com....he's a freakin millionaire. Dropped out of college.

You can make it with no education or a secondary degree but the odds are against you.

#15     Apr 25, 2008
  6. fuck the odds.. odds are for MBAers for their stat home work.

You either make it happen or you don't..

#16     Apr 25, 2008
  7. lasner

lasner

True....maybe I should stop being a bitch

#17     Apr 25, 2008
  8. cvt50

cvt50

the real value of a top MBA is two-fold:

1. the networking opportunity. if you do it right, you should come out with a social network with a group of peers that you can use for the rest of your life.

2. a top school acts as a screening tool. like it or not, most HR departments at the top funds/banks use the school name as a filtering tool. they figure if you can get into the highly selective schools you should be good enough for them.

#18     Apr 25, 2008
  9. lasner

lasner

I've always heard networking is important part of it

#19     Apr 25, 2008
  10. rosy2

rosy2

lasner
    you should ask people in person and judge their opinion based on what you see. A lot of people on ET advocate no education is needed and that ivy league or name schools dont matter.

IMO, a good name school means a lot. At the very least its great self marketing; there's no down side. If you can get in go.

#20     Apr 25, 2008