Question about two funds

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by BA736, Oct 15, 2007.

1. BA736

BA736

I hope this is the right fourm.

I was just wondering on peoples opinion on these two funds

PSPFX US Global Investors Global Resources Fund

and

UNWPX- US Global Investors World Precious Minerals

I put 1k in each today out of an account of 213k just to kind of test the waters and diversify a bit. Just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on them.

I have another 4k to put into I guess you would call "alternative investments" and I was thinking of either a Gold Fund, or an energy fund. Did I miss the boat on the energy and gold funds or is that still a good route?

2. Ansare

Ansare

Both are very solid funds. However, here is a link which allows you to compare many.

http://tinyurl.com/39awn4

3. BA736

BA736

Nice website thank you. Since inception both are around 7-8% but in the last few years both are 35-43 somthing %.

I should take this to mean that there have been some really bad years right? Im just worried these funds could return -20% during a really bad year. Is there any website to see historically year by year what the fund has done, not averaged them like most of them seem to do?

4. Ansare

Ansare

Well, I do not buy and hold. I use a very simple system, though. Using a two year weekly chart with a 40 SMA, if price remains above I'm in, and if below, I'm out. Obviously, if the fund is going sideways or down, you're out. Simple but it works.

5. BA736

BA736

Wow that seems like a very good system for me to use also (basic investor). Using it in my portfolio only one of my funds is below the 40 SMA and it is MWTRX. I just bought it the other day so I cant sell it without all the fees so ill hang on to it, plus its a bond fund im not too worried.

Anyone have any insight on this from the first post?

I have another 4k to put into I guess you would call "alternative investments" and I was thinking of either a Gold Fund, or an energy fund. Did I miss the boat on the energy and gold funds or is that still a good route? How about a nuke energy or green energy fund.

6. Ansare

Ansare

Well, it depends on your time frame. There could be slight correction coming soon in both gold and energy but long term they look very strong. How long you plan on keeping that money working is the key. I encourage you to use the Bloomberg link to find potential funds.