Question about Turtles

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by sikber, Jul 15, 2009.

1. sikber

sikber

Hey, I'm new to this forum, seems like a good resource

a question I have is about two books I have been looking at, 'Way of the Turtle' and "The Complete Turtletrader'

Is there a common consensus among the educated/intelligent traders of this board on which book is better? Are both worth a read?

I have included a poll for extra clarification

(Links:)
    http://www.amazon.com/Way-Turtle-Me...1040752?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177259859&sr=8-3

2. Curtis Faith was a turtle, and from his book you can tell he has used system trading before.

Covel is a marketer, and as far as anyone can tell has never traded. That doesn't mean his book is bad however, there are many useful books by non-traders.

I can recommend Faith's book, Covel's hopefully someone else can chime in on. I do understand he spent part of his book taking shots at Faith though, that is the main reason I refused to buy it and support his marketing.

What do the reviews on Amazon say?

3. Surdo

Surdo

Where does Marketsurfer fit into this equation?

He seems to answer every thread that addresses Covel!

:D

4. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong!) that they were cellmates in prison. Not sure who was the other's bitch though.

5. ...and perhaps something more of a turdle.

6. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

These are ignorant and silly claims. "The Complete TurtleTrader" is the only book on the Turtles that actually tells the complete story, covers the players, covers the data, covers the rules and breaks down the legend. It also covers Faith objectively. For example, "The Complete TurtleTrader" reports that Faith's firm Acceleration Capital, his one attempt at money management in the last 20 years, ended in a CFTC investigation with the firm being permanently barred. That investigation showed a Donchian trading system as the means of trading, principles creating the firm with a few thousand dollars and embezzlement of customer funds by an employee to buy "Barbie" dolls. Where is this information? Freely available in CFTC depositions (source: 1 and 2).

I do find it curious that Jerry Parker, Liz Cheval, Tom Shanks, Paul Rabar, etc. are Turtles with great success over the last 25 years, continuous track records that anyone can examine, but for this forum some people continue to either not understand the full Turtle story or purposefully want to create legends undeserving and easily disproved.

If anyone wants to take my reporting of the complete story on than let's debate it, but first read "The Complete TurtleTrader" so you are on a level playing field with me.

Note: Some statements on the book "The Complete TurtleTrader" from original Turtles:

"I did enjoy the book...I hope it's doing well for you."
    Original Turtle Tom Shanks

"The book was wonderful..."
    Original Turtle Michael Shannon

"Liked it. Congratulations on a job well done."
    Original Turtle Jeff Gordon

"Book is very good...thank you for going for the truth and objectivity."
    Original Turtle Lucy Wyatt

"Nice book."
    Original Turtle Russell Sands

"All in all, not bad. I wish it had never been done and I wish I were not in it, but I know that you were definitely going to do it, so I figured I would try to get the truth out as much as possible. By and large, it worked that way."
    Original Turtle Jim DiMaria

Review of the book from Brett Steenbarger

7. Real live Barbie dolls. Right?

Can someone post a synopsis of the deposition? Thank you

appears faith was involved with some real winners! Too bad as he seems like a nice enuff guy

8. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

The PDF is above (#2)...download and search for 'barbie'.

9. Truly bizzzzare. Petty criminals. Sad!

#10     Jul 15, 2009