Question about Tradestation 2000i under Win7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by olrim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. I don't know if you can say that "they got away with that."

2000i was an unmitigated disaster for Omega. I actually thought at the time that they might go under. As Syswizard pointed out, they basically had to throw everything out and start from scratch.

#11     Oct 15, 2011
  2. Well guys...this is software and this is complex stuff. TS2000i was over a million lines of code....a million components to deal with so-to-speak.
    I think what happened here is this:
    the original developers took some heat from the bugs, got "dinged" by the Cruz bros....then got PO'd and then LEFT THE COMPANY. That's when they called in a consultant who went : "Omigosh, you guys are in trouble !!".
    This is a common scenario in silicon valley.
    Word to the wise: don't PO your developers...even if they make mistakes.

#12     Oct 15, 2011
  3. Yikes!! I helped a friend-of-a-friend install it on his Win 7, but not to really run it - just to access old code in the editor so he could cut-n-paste to ASCII files. The charting part ran fine though after the install (I checked).

I don't recall having much problem installing it, though it was maybe a year or more ago. It was Win 7 Pro or Ultimate 64bit I think - but that has retro-XP built into it anyway, so you should be able to run it in XP mode if needed. I had admin rights to his box while I did the install.

I remember patching it with upgrade files to get it to it's last iteration. Damn thing wouldn't erase setup files automatically, so I had to keep going in after every patch and cleaning out the local temp directory.

#13     Oct 15, 2011
  4. mokwit

mokwit

Hmmm, am thinking of installing under W7 even though TS2k itself will run under w32 emulation and access 3.xGB max (coz I understand if running multiple programs having more than 4GB can be utilised at the OS level? i.e if you had 3 W32 progs using 3.XGb each and you had 12GB RAM installed it would be able to run them with full RAM each right? .

Reason for persevering with TS2000i?

It is the only way I can scan in excess of 5000 symbols (by using Yahoo data). eSignal feed max is 2500 and Yahoo is also free.

It is a difficult tempermental program that takes maybe 2 years to learn to use and I'm talking just the program not Easylanguage.

So far there are two issues I need to work around and just have not been able to work around.

1) I need radarscreen to sort by time of alert so most recent go to the top - everybody say's you can but so far I havn't been able to. Same applies to the alerts window which I tried using as a substitute

2) Set up real time alerts so that an alert only triggers once and then triggers no more - as it is it triggers repeatedly - people have sent me elegant code solutions that I have looked at and logically thought should work but when implemented didn't. Third party applications such as 'alert once' and maybe Hyperorder have a finite capacity and can't handle 5000 symbols in Radarscreen.

Thanks to Syswizard for effortlessly suggesting some workarounds previously to stuff that had me stumped. Also many similar thanks to M in the land where the Chinese are buying all the farms, I hope he is reading.

Note: Multicharts can't combine historical and RT Yahoo data the way TS with Hyperserver can. Otherwise I would make the switch.

One other benefit - fire up the computer Man am and TS2K is the same - nobody has changed things over the weekend.

#14     Oct 15, 2011
  5. why arent u using amibroker?

#15     Oct 16, 2011
  6. mokwit

mokwit

Can that access and combine (neo) RT and historical data from Yahoo?

Another reason if it can is I just don't want another learning curve right now i.e converting easylanguage to Amibroker language

#16     Oct 16, 2011
  7. ronblack

ronblack

+

I wonder about that too....

#17     Oct 16, 2011
  8. mokwit

mokwit

Coz as far as I can tell it does not integrate historical data and streaming data.

I am all ears if I am wrong but from:
    http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_amiquote.html
    It seemingly doesn't whereas TS2K with hyperserver is like and esignal or bloomberg - continuously updates the chart from Yahoo streaming data.

I am doing [neo] realtime scanning with radarscreen so downlaoding historical data and snapshots does not compare.

#18     Oct 16, 2011

9. Did you attempt to contact MC's tech support about this ?
    They've got version 7 out now....and I'd be surprised if it could not do this.

Also, I'm wondering about RT Yahoo data.....you pay $50/month for it ? How's the reliability ? Speed ?

#19     Oct 16, 2011
  10. mokwit

mokwit

Sys,

Seems MC 7 still does not

Re Yahoo data I am using free 15+ minute delayed data which works for what i am doing. No symbol limit and the 5000 stocks I scan would cost me $700++/month with esignal. Chump change to ET'ers I know, but when your stocks are going nowhere and the fixed costs are still there...

There are limitions - I am using it for daily stocks to find stocks that I think will move up 200%+ over a period of days/weeks/months

first off no bid/offer vol with Yahoo/Hyperserver

Secondly incomplete data with a lot of stocks (download historical every now and then to keep charts accurate) The way it works is that it polls the Yahoo web page for the last quote - maybe uses multiple threads but basically it will go through the 5000 stocks one web page at a time, the speed at which it does this is primarily a function of the speed of your internet connection - so you get a snapshot effectively updated at the speed it goes through the list.

So, it is really a daily download equivelent - if you are worried about missing a tick, not for you, if you are screening stocks on a daily timeframe for LT moves it's basically OK despite the imitations - sometimes that 15 minute delay can save you from buying into a 1 day sucker spike.

Cost is I think 100-150 EUR and I have just found out they do a Yahoo symbol loader which I bought for 100 EUR to avoid having to enter symbols into Globalserver manually - I know there is a way to enter 1000 at a time apparently but not sure how.

#20     Oct 16, 2011