Question about the computer to buy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bluegar3, Dec 29, 2006.

1. If you can get an 800 fsb..that would be good also

If its a Notebook then buy a warranty otherwise just buy a new computer if it breaks...

XP Pro

If your a speed demon...you could try a 10k rpm western digital sata...if your motherboard supports it...

#11     Dec 30, 2006
  2. bighog

bighog Guest

Here is how you buy a pc. you go out and buy the best, latest, greatest, that way the upgrade cycles are longer.

Wait until June or so, Intel is going to update the Conroe core 2 duo FSB to 1333 from now 1067.

Also i would wait (if possible) for the new 45 nanometer chips coming out in 3rd qtr.

We had a slow drought of new chips last couple years, now they are coming fast. Remember, the slowest roadblock on a pc and the only mechanical part is the hard drive. hard drives have hardly changed in the last 5 years. Being bigger is NOT being faster. Anyone for 15k SAS SCSI? .... :cool:

#12     Dec 30, 2006
  3. romik

romik

I have an AMD Athlon 3400+ 64 bit PC 2gig RAM and have 3 charting programs (2 Java, 1 Win) & 2 trading platforms (both Flash), is there any benefit in upgrading to Dual Core system?

#13     Dec 30, 2006
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

romik

Well no. just like trading, we all do not use the same signal the same way..........if others use it at all.

Myself, i have a "ALMOST" updated box for charts = P4 3.4g, and recently installed a Western Digital 10k 74g Raptor, good Quadro NVS cards for Duel monitors (3 cards for 6 screens). Ok, fine for charts, but this box has a 478 socket in mobo so there is no more upgrades to be had.

For order entry i know i go for overkill but it is psycho in the head to go to a race with a fast car. Why enter to lose? (yes i know it is silly, but we are who we are. :D )

I boiled the next box down to a duel core, duel processor (Woodcrest ) or newer 45 nano chips, if i can wait that long.) + sas etc

Think of it like this...........i like to have the best box on the block. :cool: Also, i like to tinker with things.........the days of drag racing are gone, need new toys.

have a Happy New Year (forget the birthday )

#14     Dec 30, 2006
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

I upgrade from 2G CPU to 2.66 Dual Core, only thing diff is CCleaner seem to run faster but for the rest; charting app or java app they seem to run at the same speed as before.

#15     Dec 30, 2006
  6. that’s because 99% of application “still” only use one core, the noticeable areas of dual core at this time is 3d video editing (rendering) and games, until dual core applications become the norm.

#16     Dec 30, 2006
  7. But you'll never get one of those "why did it slow down then" feelings again.

I've got an e6600 core2 with 2G's of 800MHz ram and its way too fast for ZeroLine Trader, SierraChart and IB TWS. I don't know which apps/threads are running on which of the cores and I don't really care. But it does a great job with the flight sim I bought a couple of years ago when you couldn't get a processor fast enough to run it without pauses (LockOn).

To save my new 380G Hard Drive I run SeirraChart on a RAM drive ... I like the idea of getting rid of all those nasty disk accesses.

Unless you like noise get a quiet case and quiet processor fan. Also get graphics cards that don't need to spin their fans up under normal use - silence is golden. :)

#17     Dec 31, 2006
  8. Or overclock the E6600 like I do to 3.2Ghz on a 1600 FSB at stock voltage, dont forget the multipliers on the 1333 FSB Conroe's will be lower and less favourable for overclocking

#18     Dec 31, 2006
  9. No if you are an AMD man wait for the K9 series to come out... we are only talking 20% performance difference at comparable levels between the 2

#19     Dec 31, 2006
  10. cubes

cubes

Advise needed. Thanks.

If we open up a lot of charts and run scans etc plus a few other webpages such as Yahoo Finance, will the below be sufficient ? No games on this PC.

1) Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 without overclocking.

2) Is 320G Seagate Sata II 7200 enough? Or is Western Digital Raptor 36GB 10krpm SATA necessary?

3) Which is the better memory Kingston or Corsair for 2Gb?

4) Which 17 inch LCD brand will be value for money?

5) Is only need 2 monitors hook up, what would be a value for money VGA card? This is for trading. Not intending to play any games here
    ASUS, Expert vision, XFX, Matrox. What specs? 256 or 512MB?

TIA

#20     Dec 31, 2006