Question about Spec of New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbo, May 29, 2011.

1. robbo

robbo

I finally ordered my Dell machine today. Big thanks to Scataphagos and everyone else for their valuable input.

#51     Jun 10, 2011
  2. I know you don't want to hear this now but if this machine is truly just for use with Tradestation then a simple 32 Bit XP machine with 4G would work the best.

You should go to TS's forum and check out some threads there about what works best.

TS is not native 64 Bit.

#52     Jun 10, 2011
  3. Hi robbo.. What system did you order from dell?

#53     Jun 10, 2011
  4. jprad

jprad

Sorry, but any current system from econo-box to uber-workstation can be built for less.

Take a look at the Vostro 230 that's priced at $299 ($300 off the regular price).

That machine in it's basic configuration comes with a Celeron 450 2.2GHz, 1GB DDR3-1333, 250GB 7200rpm, DVD-ROM, integrated Intel X4500 graphics and Win7 Home basic.

Try as I might, the closest configuration I could come up with was Celeron Dual Core E3400 2.6GHz, 1GB DDR-1333, integrated Intel X4500 graphics, a 320GB drive, DVD-R/W and Win7 Home Premium.

Oh, and the case comes with a 500W P/S. No idea what's in the Vostro.

Total cost -- $307.

#54     Jun 10, 2011
  5. Integrated graphics? Vostro? Who the Hell would buy a Vostro for a trading rig?

On the shoestring budget... Dell may not come in less than parts from Newegg.... cheap is cheap, and you can go only so low. And on the high-end, Dells are overpriced. But in this forum we're generally talking about TRADING RIGS... and many of those purchased from Dell's Outlet can be had for "less than parts"... sometimes LOTS less than parts... I've bought a few which more more than $500 less than parts. (I never said "Dells can ALWAYS, ON ALL MODELS, IN ALL CONFIGURATIONS be had for less than parts"... I said "often".. and meaning on legit trading rigs.

You obviously miss this in my prior post, so here it is again... "Of course you can build for less than this line with parts from Newegg, but that's not necessarily true for other lines. Computers from Dell's Precision (and especially from Outlet site) line can often be had for a few hundred LESS than the cost of parts to BIY...."

#55     Jun 11, 2011
  6. jprad

jprad

Of course you can get something for less than you can DIY from the outlet because those are either "reconditioned" (used) or no longer in production. The components that went into them can no longer be purchased new.

Okay, so you think the Precision line is cheaper? Configure any of their tower systems, you can go with the default configuration, or you can add anything you'd like.

Post it here and I'll post a configuration from newegg that's higher performing and costs less.

#56     Jun 11, 2011
  7. You also don't understand under what conditions a computer would be sold at Dell Outlet.... "reconditioned" doesn't even apply. There are more than one, some of which are "brand new"... and the components which went into them ARE current, not "no longer purchased new"...

You obviously have zero understanding of Dell outlet. And... you've worked my last good nerve, so I'm putting you ON IGNORE!!

#57     Jun 11, 2011
  8. robbo

robbo

I need the 64 Bit to run another software program I will be using.

#58     Jun 11, 2011
  9. robbo

robbo

Dell T3500 Advanced
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with back up DVD
    Xeon W3670(Six Core,3.2ghz,12mb,4.8gt)
    12GB Memory 1333MHZ DDR3 EEC UDIMM
    1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0 32MB Data Cache
    2 Nvidia NVS 295 Graphic Cards
    Logitech MK710 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
    16X Max DVD
    16X max DVD Rewriter
    24 months trend micro security software
    Microsoft Office Starter
    3 Years next business day warranty

#59     Jun 11, 2011
  10. jprad

jprad

I'm well aware of the "previously ordered as new" category. I figured you'd cry foul if I used them since they're not discounted nearly as much as the refurbished (reconditioned) and the as-is boxes are. IMHO, the as-is ones are more challenging due to the discounting. But, if you want to use one of the "new" boxes as the basis for this then fine with me.

And, I still stand by what I said. A lot of those machines, even the "new" ones, have parts that NewEgg no longer carries but, that's not really a problem because the challenge is being able to put together a higher performing machine, regardless of the model Dell you want to go with, for equal or less money.

It's up to you though, if you want to play the ignore gambit instead of having an honest go at this then fine by me as well.

#60     Jun 12, 2011