Question about Spec of New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbo, May 29, 2011.

1. mokwit

mokwit

2 tips from recent build
    1) Bottleneck for speed is HDD - solid state is well worth getting
    2) NVS 450 issues probably due to displayport - seems nobody tested it enough* to find out it frequently doesn't work properly. Get a 440 off ebay if you don't need 30" resolutions

* you know like connecting it to a monitor and using it for a while - seems it went straight off the drawing board into production - seems it is being phased out

#41     Jun 9, 2011
  2. 295s have DP too... haven't heard of any issues with them.

However, as the replacement to the 295.. the 300... has gone back to DMS59 cable, could be something to "DP issues". Note... I've had a half dozen DMS59 cable failures when using 285 & 290 cards... no failures yet with 295s and their DPs.

#42     Jun 9, 2011
  3. mokwit

mokwit

I'm having the "going into sleep mode" with 295 and Dell 30" U3011.

#43     Jun 9, 2011
  4. jprad

jprad

Not true.

I just spec'd an Aurora ALX on the dell web site, i7 930, 6GB, 1TB in a mini-tower. Total cost before shipping and taxes, $1999.

You can build this from newegg for less. Comes with a faster CPU, more disc/memory, better video and a full tower. Add a 2yr warantee for $44 and a copy of Win7 Home Premium OEM for $89 and you're still close to $200 less than the dell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.644229

#44     Jun 9, 2011
    #45     Jun 9, 2011
  6. RL8093

RL8093

Been using a 440 for 2 years - 9 months (Gnome recommendation). Failed last week (worked like a charm until it cratered). PNY sent a replacement (3 year warranty) in 2 days. Previously had two ATI-based quad cards - both failed while under warranty - neither was covered.* I'll let others play with ATI ...

I don't know if things have changed since XP, but with it, it was not possible to match drivers with video cards** so if different types of cards were used, random issues would typically happen (often blamed on other components due to incorrect troubleshooting). Good idea to use multiples of same card...

R

* first company was purchased by another who refused to honor warranties of first. Second company went bankrupt within weeks of card failure.

** learned this when dell conferenced-in video card manufacturer technical reps during troubleshooting session

#46     Jun 9, 2011
  7. jprad

jprad

Scat, the argument was that Dell can build it for less than you can and that's simply not the case.

You might get more for your money with a Dell compared to HP, Lenovo or the other major vendors. But, you can always build a higher performing system for less than what Dell offers new.

The performance trade-off is always going to be there because these vendors aim for the most conservative system to minimize warranty repairs.

Quite frankly, "building" a computer today is trivial and the reliability is often higher because you have none of the vendor installed crap to contend with.

#47     Jun 9, 2011
  8. I agree with jprad.

I have built 3 desktop computers (i7 930 processors) so far with just off-the-shelf components at Fry's. No problem with any of them so far. 2 of are more than 1 year now.

Unfortunately I felt that I couldn't build a laptop myself. I bought 3 laptops from HP so far. 2 of them had been returned to factory for various issues. They included disk drive issues. Makes me feel that I wish I could build my own laptops.

#48     Jun 9, 2011
  9. I'm gonna disagree with you. I've price LOTS of systems and Dell often comes in around $200 less than buying the parts from Newegg....at least a computer I would buy... as long as you don't pay Dell's high prices for top-of-the-line models and/or highest upgrades.

Yes, if Dell want's $600 for a RAM upgrade or $850 for a CPU upgrade... then you're right. But I was presuming that you are smart enough not to do that.

#49     Jun 9, 2011