Question about Spec of New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbo, May 29, 2011.

1. jokepie

jokepie

I Checked the tech specs again, u r rite it has 1PCIe 16 slot
    Mine XPS 630 has 2 slots. I bought it 3 yrs ago. I also have a GeForce 6200 in PCI with 9800GTs in express slots
    but you can always get a NVS 290/295 with x1 or x4 slot.
    However, I like stock dell products. They are matched hardware with extensive tests and QA.
    Alienware (DELL) base pc is aboyt $1100 has 2 slots and 6gbs SATA connection and USB 3. It might be something to think about. Also there support is good.

#31     Jun 2, 2011
  2. jokepie

jokepie

3. #33     Jun 3, 2011
  4. Dell Home Outlet has coupon codes that subtract $150 off of an outlet desktop purchase ( like an 8300 XPS ) over $800

Pretty sweet.
    :p

#34     Jun 3, 2011
  5. syd697

syd697

Been reading all the great advice in this thread. Good stuff. I'm also looking to build a new trading pc.

Anyone have experience, or have any thoughts on the trading computers from Trader's World? Was thinking of configuring one from them. Not sure how their prices compare to other shops. Prices start at $1499.

Any advice/thoughts is appreciated.

http://www.tradersworld.com/computers/index.html

#35     Jun 4, 2011
  6. Depends. Vanilla charting and execution yes. But if you have any custom studies which are using tick data to update and chart then you can use CPU power.

A dual cpu motherboard with at least 2x pcie x 16 slots will give you flexibility to adapt as hardware ages. If you buy a mid-range CPU and video card now but have a good motherboard with ample power you can build an affordable system with good capabilities but have the option to add as needed. The bonus with mid-range video and CPU's in a dual socket motherboard is that as time goes by those components will drop like a rock in price but all you have to do is double up and you just doubled your capabilities without having to nuke your system or invest a lot. You can generally skip one cycle of upgrading at the same price as mid- high range gear.

#36     Jun 4, 2011
  7. robbo

robbo

I am in the process of negotiating a deal with Dell to buy the t3500 workstation listed above. When you buy Dell products and pay the prices quoted on the dell website you are paying a premium because its dell equipment. Any opinions on what the premium is compared to other PC builders 10,20 or 30%?

#38     Jun 8, 2011
  8. Actually, Dell's are consistently LESS than the competition in my experience.

#39     Jun 8, 2011
  9. Dell will sell you a system with warranty cheaper than you can build it yourself. The only reason to build a box is if the retail market does not yet have the new technology you want or need. They seem to have done a good job of catching up. And Dell stress tests these systems considerably. If you buy from Dell Small Business, they have even removed all of the bloatware.

#40     Jun 9, 2011