Question about option level 2 from a newbie

Discussion in 'Options' started by meanboy, May 29, 2008.

1. it's all the same shit, to get approved for options trading/shorting and what not. You need to update your profile to meet the legal requirements to be approved. All the brokers do this including IB.

I will let you figure out how to update your own profile.

Calling etrade a shitty platform because you cant get approved is foolish to say the least.

#11     Jun 12, 2008
  2. opt789

opt789

This isn't really on topic, but since you said it and it is completely untrue I guess I have to respond.

How large is your account, how many contracts do you regularly trade? If you are an active trader they will negotiate. I have my complaints about TOS just like everyone has complaints about every broker, but I have negotiated very good rates with them.

#12     Jun 12, 2008
  3. Simply not true. I agree the rates are on the high side for futures, but they will negotiate.

#13     Jun 16, 2008
  4. meanboy

meanboy

Thanks for your reply. It's not that I am unhappy with their service or prices. If they gave me option level 2 the second time I requested I wouldn't even think about changing brokers.

You're right, I was not careful filling out my application. I might have put down something they didn't like. I am pretty sure they don't know what I make but I do make more then the 50k you mentioned. However, I do not have any margin on my account. I don't really want any either.

The problem I have with E-trade is that I was turned down and not given an explanation and when I asked twice, I was told they could not tell me. I ask how I could get option level 2, and I don't think I would be able to blow myself up or them by buying calls/puts, and I was told they could not tell me to protect the integrity of the process.

I am not a seasoned trader but I have at least 300 trades since October 2007. I lost a little money, mostly because of two bad trades, and buying etfs shorts too early.

In the meantime, I am paper trading option on the CBOE. I am down a couple of hundred paper dollars and I made the mistake of buying jun instead of jul call. That really pitted time against me. At least, I haven't lost any real money.

I don't really want to want another two and a half months to trade any options. I'll just have to fill out the application a little more carefully whereever I go.

#14     Jun 16, 2008
  5. ... what are you getting with them ?

#15     Jul 5, 2008
  6. ... what you have negotiated is beside the point....
    .... check their stated rates and compare...
    .... shit standard commish

#16     Jul 5, 2008
  7. opt789

opt789

First you say that they won't negotiate, then you say it is irrelevant that there are traders who have negotiated with them. You are not making any sense. I would guess that you are a small trader and no firm is going to go out of their way to negotiate with you. As I have said before, if you are a small trader and just want low rates then IB is a firm you should consider.

#17     Jul 5, 2008
  8. What he said. Real happy with TOS. Actual human beings who know answers for customer service, too. A rarity.

#18     Jul 5, 2008
  9. TYtrader

TYtrader

Open an account with another firm. After almost a year of actual experience, you should be able to trade spreads with most firms. Not sure why Etrade won't let you. Ask again and send them a letter saying you undersand the risks of spread trading and you're willing to assume those risks.

Good luck.

#19     Jul 6, 2008
  10. meanboy

meanboy

That sounds like a good idea. I would like to know why I am not able to upgrade to at least level 2. I don't think I can even write anything at that level.

#20     Jul 7, 2008