Question about OPG orders

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by jayr95241, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Hi, I have a question about placing a market on open order..sorry if this question had already been asked.

If I place a large trade, relative to the volume, to buy or sell on the open on a platform like Interactive Brokers am I protected from getting filled at an extremely high or low price .

I know that Interactive Brokers protects you from an unfair price compared to the National Best Bid and Offer but am unsure if this also applies to the opening auction.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I expect you will be subject to the open on the primary if set there, good or bad.

3. Got it but lets say I place a large order on the open, and there is very little volume will my order just not get filled or I would hit a bid/offer at a price that doesn't reflect the stock

For example, if the average volume on a $10 stock is 5,000 and I place an order to buy 100,000 shares MOO...is there anything to stop me from buying the stock at a ridiculous price such as $100 or would I just not get filled?

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

A market order for the open will be filled at the best price under the exchange rules. Yes, it can move the stock a lot if volume is very low and your order is very big. You should place a limit if you are concerned.

avatar-ds and MoreLeverage like this.
  5. ok Thank you, do you know of any way to obtain the order book for the opening auction?

6. d08

d08

There's no protection for auctions. Same goes for limit orders. Auction orders just before the matching process cannot be cancelled so IB cannot do anything to "protect" you.

7. lindq

lindq

Sorry, but I'm reminded here of the old story that if you're at a poker table and you don't know who the sucker is...then it is likely to be you.

dealmaker likes this.
  8. As others have said, just use limit orders and don't rely on others to protect you. Pretty simple.

However it is not true that there are no protections. IB will price cap OPGs (it's not documented how this works, but I've seen messages in my API logs about orders being capped) and exchanges also have some basic safeguards in place that reduce the chances of filling at insane prices. Nasdaq for example will not execute any shares further than 10% from the midpoint, so if your order is so massive that it would execute below that, you will get a partial fill or no fill. Look up the exchange specific documentation about how auctions work if you want all the details.

9. Ldeyana

Ldeyana

You have posted the questions asking about the OPG and i am this website will help you in knowing what you want to know, keep following the site and keep ypu update and regularly check the answers as it will promote both the site and the encourges you to post more.