Question about online Database of Information

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by aphexcoil, Dec 30, 2002.

1. I was thinking about putting up 5 years worth of one minute ticks (open, high, low, close, volume) for all major stocks and all futures into a mySQL database that is powered via PHP processing.

The total amount of information might be more space than I can allot right now (around half a gig), so I just want to put up a test site with ES, NQ and the major stocks.

First of all, if I use data from various sources (Qcharts, eSignal, etc), am I doing anything illegal? Quote prices should be public domain and no company should have priority over this information.

I'd like to be able to give the user the ability to select to dates/times and download as much information he/she wants in whatever format that want it in.

Any comments on this?

2. tomf

tomf

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but the collected data should be property of the datafeed service and probably may not be redistributed to 3rd party.
    Unfortunately I'm not too sure about this but that's what i'm thinking

3. Alright that does seem fair -- but once I get the data and pay for it, isn't it mine to redistribute? Where do the data-feeds get them? I'll just do an end-runaround and get it from a source that does let me distribute.

Also, if all the quotes are the same from most datafeeds, who is going to know where I got my data -- which, coincidentally, looks just like theirs?

I'm just curious because I really want to start on this project.

4. tomf

tomf

hmm, how the data feed company could evidence you that you're redistributing their data is their problem and they'll probably do hard =)

but i saw it from the side whether it's legal or not and imho the data should be still "copyrighted" by the data supplier

5. tomf

tomf

I found this one in eSignal's Terms of Service:

16.0 Ownership of Information; Retransmission and Redistribution of Data
    Unless otherwise noted, all right, title and interest in the Information and the Services, in all languages, formats and media throughout the world, including all copyrights and trademarks therein, are and shall continue to be the exclusive property of eSignal, its licensors, and/or any and all third party Data Providers, or used under principles of "fair use." YOU AGREE NOT TO REPRODUCE, RETRANSMIT, DISSEMINATE, SELL, DISTRIBUTE, PUBLISH, BROADCAST, CIRCULATE OR PROVIDE THE INFORMATION OR SERVICES IN ANY MANNER OR FOR ANY PURPOSES (PERSONAL OR BUSINESS) WITHOUT THE PRIOR EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF eSignal AND THE RELEVANT DATA PROVIDER(S). You further agree not to use the Services or Information made available through the Services for any unlawful purpose and agree to comply with reasonable requests by eSignal to protect the respective rights of eSignal and/or the Data Providers in the Services and in the Information made available through the services. Subscriber shall not, without the prior express written consent of eSignal and the relevant Data Providers, make copies of any of the software or documentation that may be provided, electronically or otherwise, including, but not limited to, translating, decompiling, disassembling or creating derivative works.

6. Thanks Tom! I guess my next step is to check with the exchanges and see if I can't get past data from them. I shouldn't have to jump through to many firey hoops to get history data. eSignal has to get it from somewhere.