Question about Mobile Platforms and Emini's

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Robertwiz, May 15, 2011.

1. Casey Bonse

Casey Bonse ET Sponsor

Take a look at IRunner by Strategy Runner. it's available as part of the advanced platform package and runs on both the IPhone and Android smart phones.

#11     May 20, 2011
  2. It'll cost more, but you can get a USB device from your current phone vendor to allow a laptop to use the cellular network. Then you don't have to worry about the limitations of trying to trade on a cellphone.

#12     May 20, 2011
  3. elon

elon

Casey Bonse - I think we're talking about the same mobile futures trading software, I just use it through my broker... I agree it's really good! I see you're a sponsor of ET, I'm not sure if you're affiliated with SR or not but if so I want to say good job! I like seeing the limits of technology pushed.

If you're just a user of it could you elaborate on the features that've really popped out to you? I've only spent an afternoon playing with it so I haven't had the opportunity to really delve in.

loufah - does this mobile trading method vary depending on what cell carrier you use? AT&T is really strict about their data usage and recently implemented a data cap even for household wifi, so I bet it would get extremely expensive if you're streaming data and charts over the cell network to your laptop. I had no idea gadgets like that existed though, I think I'll look into it just to have... you never know when you'll need to desperately need to get on your laptop and don't have Wi-Fi nearby. Thanks!

#13     May 20, 2011
  4. Bandwidth can be a consideration, but many trading platforms are designed to work even with dialup-speed connections and are conservative in their data usage. According to the Traffic Monitor feature on my McAfee AV, I'm currently using an average of 60 kilobytes per minute. I'm connected with a 1.2 megabit/sec DSL line. I'm running IB's TWS with 25 tickers and Ameritrade's Command Center with 40 tickers and 6 real-time charts. That's just 25 megabytes per 7-hour trading day. By comparison, I use 20 megabytes a day during my commute on my 3G iphone, doing web browsing and reading newspaper sites and twitter, and my cellular provider doesn't even blink at that sort of usage.

#14     May 23, 2011
  5. elon

elon

I think it must really depend on your mobile carrier then... because if I used 20MB per day with AT&T I'd end up racking up some serious over charges, I only get 200MB per month. I suppose if you upgraded a 2GB plan though then you're entirely right, mobile futures trading platforms wouldn't use enough bandwidth to be an issue.

For what it's worth, I've really been enjoying the mobile platform I signed up for... I decided to go ahead and pay for it for full-time use beyond the 2-week trial cannon trading gave me. If I ever have any issues though I'll probably try the USB mobile port thing you suggested loufah, thanks.

#15     May 31, 2011
  6. Thanks for this thread! I'm now trying out PFG on my iPhone! :)

#16     Jun 14, 2011
  7. elon

elon

Glad you found it helpful! :)

#17     Jul 1, 2011
  8. Thanks. I've been looking for a short list of mobile trading platform providers.

#18     Sep 22, 2011