Question about MBA

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lasner, Oct 7, 2008.

1. lasner

lasner

Hey I have a question for anyone out there that has an MBA?

Has it helped you at all? Right now I'm applying to Temple. They are ranked in the top 50. Realistically I can't get into a top 15 school.

I'm looking to get ahead. With a college degree nowadays it gets you nowhere.

I was wondering how much it's advanced your career.

2. Mecro

Mecro

MBAs are becoming a dime a dozen in a shrinking money changing aka financial industry.

Learn a real trade, a technical trade, and you will be fine.

3. rwk

rwk

My school was ranked #9 the year I graduated, and it was a wasted effort for me. I am grateful for the opportunity to have gone, but I am just not executive management material. I'm too much a free thinker and free spirit for that world. But how was I to know that back then?

4. lasner

lasner

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to shell out 60k and have it all go to waste.

I'm up in the air with what direction I want to go.

Temple told me the average salary after graduation was 80-90k

5. lasner

lasner

What school did you go to? Could you not find a job after graduation? Or did you just choose to not go into corporate america.

6. lasner

lasner

I need a different angle. The job market sucks for college graduates.

I'm working in sales right now and it blows...it's a rat race.

I'm thinking MBA maybe law school...but I'm really not interested in law.

I need to specialize in something

7. I'd go for it.

What's 60k worth these days? Just a few grand a year in utility.

While it's true an MBA has no where near the cache' of a decade or two ago, in an increasingly dire job market it gives you a leg up over the unemployed, undereducated masses.

I don't say this in jest: In a future world where an opening at McDonald's will attract hundreds of applicants at least you'll be able to find a job even if it's not the "ideal" job.

8. lasner

lasner

So what would you say is an equivalent of an MBA a decade or two ago?

9. rwk

rwk

UCLA, 1976 -- I tried the corporate route for a while. There were plenty of jobs. The corporate life just didn't fit.

Many people pursue a graduate degree to compensate for some shortcoming. It doesn't work for that. An MBA probably won't open any doors that you cannot get in without it. You will still be the same person you are now. It's better to find out who you really are rather than who you want to be. Then go do something that fits. That might not be trading either.

The strange thing is that when you quit doing what doesn't work, it doesn't feel like failure or disappointment. It's a big relief.

10. It gets your foot in the door. After that, it's all up to you.

Over the years, I have seen both sides:

Someone comes in, well focused, definate goals, works smart and advances up the food chain.

Others come in with the MBA, but lack focus and desire and flail around. They struggle and work hard, but don't quite know what to do. They eventually loose the desire for a lack of goal clarity.

#10     Oct 7, 2008