Question about Mac/PC internet speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bumblebuzzard, Dec 9, 2007.

1. another possibility is that windows xp (since sp1) purposefully limits the number of open TCPIP connection to 10 (was unlimited before).

you can fix that using the EVENT ID 4226 patch

http://www.trustyfiles.com/help-sw-xpsp2.php

i always change mine from 10 to 100 000.

it tremendously increases the speed of my bittorent downloads.

that should also increase your speed by a wide margin.

#11     Dec 9, 2007
  2. silvermotion,

I was going to run the patch you suggested, but my malware protection intercepted it. Do you think it's safe to go ahead and run it anyway? (I guess that means are you pretty sure it hasn't had some adverse impact on your system?)

Here's the report:

This object has a file size of 39,936 bytes, it is most frequently called EVID4226PATCH.EXE and is most frequently located in the %desktop%\evid4226patch223d-en\ folder.

This file is considered unsafe and is part of the malware group, Potentially harmful program HackTool.AB. It was first seen on Monday, May 14 2007. It has been seen frequently by 1,272 users in this section of the community. The file was first seen in The UNITED KINGDOM but has been seen in other locations, including SPAIN.

EVID4226PATCH.EXE has been seen to perform the following behaviors:
    - This Process Creates Other Processes On Disk
    - This Process Deletes Other Processes From Disk
    - The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a software packing process
    - Executes a Process
    - Registers a Dynamic Link Library File

EVID4226PATCH.EXE has been the subject of the following behaviors:
    - Created as a process on disk
    - Executed from Temporary Folders
    - Executed as a Process
    - Deleted as a process from disk
    - Writes to another Process's Virtual Memory (Process Hijacking)
    - Terminated as a Process

#12     Dec 9, 2007
  3. No, this is fairly typical for Macs. My ancient G4 (5 years old) has a much faster transfer rate than my 1 year old HP being top of the line.

I don't think it has as much to do with the hardware as it does the way the OS handles the information flow. UNIX is more of a server geared OS whereas Windows is a user geared OS.

#13     Dec 9, 2007
  4. im not surprised since its purpose is to hack and replace the settings from the TCPIP.sys from its crippled state to its former glory

if you dont trust the one from the website i linked, heres the one i use on all my machines, its the 1st thing i do after a fresh windows install on a PC.

#14     Dec 9, 2007
  5. All the debate aside, the intel macs handle internet data BETTER than the PPC macs. My Intel macbook smoked my G5 Tower 1.83Ghz Core Duo vs Dual 2.0Ghz G5.

#15     Dec 9, 2007
  6. Very interesting. Thanks.

(Unfortunately, my wife was passing by and I read your post to her. Big mistake. She is now going back and forth grinning in a most insufferable manner. :) )

#16     Dec 9, 2007
  7. on the subject of macs VS pc, today its basically the same hardware, intel cpus, intel motherboards, etc etc

im seriously comtemplating the new mac pro tower as my next purchase for a trading workstation. 2 qud core xeon cpus, 8 gig of ram, superb motherboard quality, I am completely dazzled.

#17     Dec 9, 2007
  8. OK, that's pretty much what I thought, but just wanted to verify it with you first.

Thanks.

#18     Dec 9, 2007
  9. let us know if it improved your speed, it normally should.

#19     Dec 9, 2007
  10. Sorry to have to report that I can't detect any improvement as far as the speed test is concerned.

Well, it was a good idea....

#20     Dec 9, 2007