Question about IB TWS demo

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Bry, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Bry

Bry

Hi,

There are so many experienced IB TWS users here on elitertrader.com. I just received my TWS demo. I have a pretty slow internet connection and it takes about 50 minutes to download the entire program each time I open it. When it is no longer a demo will it stay on my computer and not need to be downloaded each time I open it?

Thx, Bry

2. You shouldn't need to download it again each time you want to open it. Are you on a Mac?

EDIT: I am only asking if you are on a Mac because that is what I know, but I am 100% sure you won't need to download it each time either on mac or PC

3. Bob111

Bob111

the DEMO is a demo, a paper trading account is a paper trading account. two completely different things. anyone can log into tws demo. you dont' "receive " it. just go on their page,pick a version and type-user-edemo
    password-demouser.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=553&ns=T

you can use the DEMO for testing various conditions (if you are developer) or to became more familiar with controls and functions. whatever trades you made on demo-they will go away next time you log into it.
    the PAPER account is different. it's just like your real account.
    then-there is TWO different versions of TWS itself-browser and STAND ALONE.
    speed might depend on your computer,internet speed etc.
    but i'm using ancient dual core pc with really slow amd processors and browser(slowest) version takes just few seconds to log in.
    if i understand your question correctly-once you installed (if you are talking about stand alone TWS) or you log into a browser version-you use a different set of user name and passwords for paper and real account. one more time-you use same program(TWS),but different credentials to separate paper and real accounts

4. Bry

Bry

Am on PC, thx.

5. Bry

Bry

The whole question is about it having to freaking download for 50 minutes each time I open it.
    I have the stand alone TWS, am pretty sure...hopefully this will clear up when it is no longer a demo. Am waiting for a check to clear to fund. thx

6. What's the file you are clicking to open TWS?

7. Bry

Bry

TWS icon on my desktop.

8. are you super sure you have the standalone from here https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=674

For what you say it looks like each time you open TWS it is checking for a new build, downloading it and then opening it. Make sure to use the one on the link.

9. Bry

Bry

am 99% sure, will double chk, thx for ur help!

10. Bob111

Bob111

run a speed test, post pic here,post your PC specifications,OS etc.
    as i said above-it shouldn't be 50 min,unless you are sitting on some really s**ty dial-up internet + pentium 1 CPU :)

#10     Oct 28, 2015