Question about heathcare management MBA

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lasner, Oct 13, 2008.

1. lasner

lasner

Hey I have a question for you guys. I'm really interested in getting an MBA.

I've heard a lot of people tell me that MBA'S are overrated and nowadays won't get you any where.

I thinking about specializing in healthcare management.

I figure healthcare has to be bullet proof.

What do you guys think? Anyone on this board know of anyone specializing in healthcare management and if so how employable were they?

I basically want to get something that will bullet proof and completley employable....making good money when I graduate. Who knows what will happen in the future

2. I've known three guys who were hospital administrators and they all acted like they were doing very well.:D

3. lasner

lasner

I graduated college eight years ago and have been working in sales....it sucks! I hate it.

I'm looking for something that is completely secure and will get me good money.

I figure health care has to be the way to go.

4. I think you are probably right. I am a retired aeronautical engineer. Saw 6 to 7 thousand people laid off more than once.
    Go for it.

5. clacy

clacy

I am pursuing a health care managment MBA right now as well.

I have been involved in medical sales for 10 years now, so I'm really not sure what to expect when I'm done. But obviously, health care is almost as safe of an industry as you can get, except for maybe defense.

Anyway, I know that practice managers of large medical practices can make $100-150k.

Hostpital administrators can make a lot of money if you get to be C level.

There are lots of medical and pharm companies that you could work for as well.

If you're not real experienced, I wouldn't expect to start out much higher than $50k though as it may take a few years under your belt to start making $$$

6. lasner

lasner

Awesome! I just started thinking about getting an MBA I know a lot of friends that came out and did nothing with it.

I was thinking about going back to school for nuclear medicine but then just figured why not health care management

7. Anyone who tells you an MBA is worthless probably doesn't have an MBA so they don't want you to get one either. Go get the degree. It will only help your career and it will open many doors.

I know a guy who used to work in the Health Care Industry (with an MBA) who was in charge of the administration/finance department and he said it was the most stressful job he has ever had. It was so bad he had to give it up to start trading -- go figure. He said the BS he had to deal with when dealing with the government drove him insane. It's going to get much, much worse. Whenever the government gets involved in something you can quadruple the amount of paperwork. Bullet proof? Probably. Stressful? Yes.