Question about health insurance for full time trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by webbma, May 10, 2008.

1. Surdo

Surdo

You need to chill out dude, and switch to decaf, it's his business, the guy might have 9 million in cash and wants to trade...is this any of your concern?

The OP asked a simple Health Insurance question, that's all.

el surdo

#11     May 10, 2008
  2. you're trading career is over before it started. min $1500 amonth and exclusion of coverage so it does you no good. if you can get it threw a prop then you're at the mercy of the prop . keep your job and trade on the side

#12     May 10, 2008
  3. Set up a dba and join the chamber of commerce, most offer health plans. Set up a dba and join an employee leasing co. Lease yourself back to your dba, leasing co offer several health plans. There are adminstrative costs but are deductable.

#13     May 10, 2008
  4. Try this site...

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

By the way, NJ is extremely expensive for health insurance. Run from NJ as fast as you can.

New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont are guaranteed-issue states, hence they are the costliest states for health insurance.

#14     May 10, 2008
  5. webbma

webbma

Not sure why I am even wasting my time giving a response to this. You don't know anything about me or my background. So relax! Trust me I'll be fine. Just some background so you can sleep at night and not worry about me...I worked 8 1/2 years on a trading desk at Goldman Sachs (have you ever heard of them?) trading international shares. I then went to UBS and ran a very successful trading desk for 4 years. For the past 3 1/2 years I have been trading a-
    t a smaller firm. So I believe 16 years of experience trading at very reputable firms will be a good start. Thanks for your concerns though. I appreciate it!

#15     May 10, 2008
  6. webbma

webbma

thanks for everyone who gave me input on my question. I'm not looking for anyones opinion on whether or not i should go full time or stay in my job. I'm perfectly capable of making that decision myself.

Thanks.

#16     May 10, 2008
  7. I googled "new york health insurance" and these are the responses I got:

NY Health Insurance

I'm sure you find something to fit your bill amongst the options listed, and as nutmeg mentioned, Doing Business As or Incorporating will give you even more options.

As a former employee of both Goldman and UBS I wish you luck. Capital rules in a capitalist sytem, but you have to put the health and welfare of yourself and your loved ones first.

#17     May 10, 2008
  8. webbma

webbma

Thanks...I also appreciate the kind words. Experience is no guarantee for success, but I've been looking forward to this for awhile.

#18     May 10, 2008
  9. I'm in NJ, and according to my doctor's nurse (very reliable) Horizon is the best. That's what I have, the HMO so everything is covered with a copay. If you go for the PPO, you save a couple hundred a month, but the hospital stay is limited to 90 days, no rehab, etc. so if you have a major problem you will pay alot.

I pay 487 mo., I am single.

Edit: the first 6 months, pre-existing conditions may not be covered. All insurance seems to have this clause.

#19     May 10, 2008
  10. Your current employer probably is required to offer you the same insurance plan as you now have under a Federal Statute known as COBRA;
    Tommy

#20     May 10, 2008