Question about communism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chartman, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Yeah, this is confusing.

A short history lesson: communism in Eastern Europe fell apart in 1989 or maybe 1990, when the Berlin Wall came down. All the eastern European countries were freed. Ain't no such thing over there anymore.
    Russia's troubles are from a different source: a ton of mineral wealth, like oil and natural gas, that distorts the economy towards commodities. Not entirely of course; not nearly as bad as Saudi Arabia, for instance. Still, oil can be a curse.
    China never had an outright overthrow, they just sort of decided to have, I suppose, "capitalism with Chinese characteristics", or something.

#11     Dec 13, 2010
    #12     Dec 13, 2010
  3. LOL!!! You're joking right? You are just being a smart ass right?? You do know Russia hasn't been "communist" since the Berlin Wall came down, right??? Pls tell me you were joking...

#13     Dec 13, 2010
    #14     Dec 13, 2010
  5. Looting is a short term sort of thing.
    Those assets are still producing, and twenty years later that wouldn't be true if someone weren't taking care of them. I'm a little surprised at the shallowness of that response.

#15     Dec 13, 2010
  6. Huh? So when in 1928 and onwards in the Soviet Union, during collectivization, land was taken from the peasants, often against their will, and given to the collective farms, that wasn't looting? 'Cause, you know, this land was still producing while it was in communal ownership twenty years later.

It's a bit silly to say that looting isn't looting, if you take care of the property after you've obtained it.

#16     Dec 14, 2010
  7. It's called "critical theory" by Marxists. To summarize, any though or conclusion which supports Marxist theory is "rational", anything which criticizes it is "irrational".

#17     Dec 14, 2010
  8. Kind of like trickle down theory.

#18     Dec 14, 2010
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

#19     Dec 14, 2010
  10. Use of generalizations and "theories" is hardly ever a good thing.

#20     Dec 14, 2010