Question about C.F.A.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lasner, Dec 18, 2006.

1. lasner

lasner

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew anything about becoming a C.F.A.(certified financial analyst) How many modules is it? Generally how long does it take? what's the cost? do you need to be sponsored? I tried googling it but nothing came up

2. Grew

Grew Guest

It is chartered financial analyst.....

Visit

www.cfainstitute.org

3 Levels, appx 250 hours of studying for each level (more or less depending on your aptitude)

Need 3-4 (i forget) years of relevant work experience to obtain charter after completing all 3 levels.

3. ramora

ramora

Would prop trading qualify as 'relevant work experience'? Would trading an individual account full time for 3 years count?

Anyone?

Thank you

4. consider CAIA (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst) instead, much more interesting material, can be earned in a year.

www.caia.org

5. lasner

lasner

Does it need to be held like the 7 or 66 by a broker/dealer will it expire?

6. lasner

lasner

Does it carry as much weight?

7. 1) Yes, prop trading experience qualifies.

2) Yes (I fall in to this category myself, and some above), self-employed individuals, such as those trading their own account may have their work experience count toward the charter requirement. However, if you're self-employed, you need 3 sponsors with CFA rather than the usual 2.

As for whether the Charter expires like licenses - no. You are a holder of the designation so long as you pay the annual dues (and do not violate their rules blah blah). But ex-charterholders can reapply without having to write the exams again.

P.S. Copernicus, out of curiosity, do you have CAIA's charter? Or are you in any way associated with them? You seem to be promoting it quite often on this board.

8. lasner

lasner

I heard the CFA carries as much weight as an ivy league MBA. Is that true? It seems like it's the way to go:
    (1)less expensive.
    (2)No b.s. in the application process
    (3) NO STUPID GMATS

9. True.

but try passing @ level 3.

generally it requires much more dedication and more study.

10. I hadn't heard of the CAIA before.. but I just had a look at CAIA's sample questions.. it's not really comparable to CFA. anyone with general securities knowledge can pass it with a little study..

#10     Dec 18, 2006