question about activetick

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by bwv078, Jun 27, 2013.

1. bwv078

bwv078

Hi guys, I just got a subscription of activetick. Played a bit. The program seems OK, however the custom service is terrible!

I'm interested in their historical data query for options. according to the website, it is available. Anyone tried that? I used the example, can get the historical data for equities successfully, however had no luck on the option data. And no one is returning my email/calls. I wonder if anyone had the same experience?

Thanks!

2. Any luck getting this to work?

3. Has anybody actually been able to contact Activetick recently? I've tried on the phone a couple times, and sent at least 2-3 emails.

Never actually heard back, couldn't even get a demo.

I terms of responsiveness for data providers, it seems like
    QuantQuote >> Nanex > Activetick :(

If Activetick could actually deliver all it promises to deliver, it might be good, but it just seems to be a s#*t company that doesn't care about customers.

4. bwv078

bwv078

yes, I agree. I tried ActiveTick because it's cheap, will stop my subscription at the end of this month.

The C++ API cannot work.
    Tried their bin file for the API, works fine for equities & currency tick data. works fine realtime and hist query -- one thing is the symbol-logic is completely different from what's in the HTTP api file. For currency, i think it should be #EUR/USD options should be .AAPL 130720C00400000. however their sample bin cannot read .AAPL 130720C00400000 because there is a space!. whatever other cases i tried. doesn't work at all.

Also tried their C++ API sample code, can be complied. works fine one night for realtime. but the second day, cannot get anything for the same query. I dont want to waste my time on it anymore.

tried the C++ HTTP example, can get data realtime so far. for options, the format should be OPTION:AAPL--130720C00400000. but no hist data for options

tried C# example. works-- again no hist data for options. format of symbols should be same as C++ API.

Anyone know if there is any other choices for historical options tick data? i dont need the OPRA whole market, but some tickers everyday.

Thanks.

5. hardywu

hardywu

same issue here.

6. @bwv078 @hardywu

The reason symbology is slightly different for HTTP API is because SPACE and # characters are reserved characters for HTTP GET standard method. ActiveTick API uses industry standard OSI-symbology for option contracts, which contains spaces to pad underlying symbol if it is < 6 characters. Symbology for currency symbols uses # character to id the symbol as currency.

To work around this, ActiveTick's HTTP API uses prefix for non-equity symbols, such as OPTION: and CURRENCY:, removes initial character from the symbol, and also replaces spaces with - characters. The symbology is described in the HTTP API document when you point your browser to http://localhost:5000/

ActiveTick's historical tick and bar data for options only goes back to beginning of 2014, so you will not be able to retrieve a dataset for a 2013-07 contract since data wasn't being stored at that time. ActiveTick is probably one of very few places where you will be able to query original option tick data (including bid/ask data) on demand for all contracts that goes back 1.5 years as of 2015-07, simply because of sheer amount of data that OPRA generates every day.

Regarding your problem with retrieving data on second day, you probably ran into a nightly roll. During nightly roll (around midnight Eastern time), various ticker plant services roll their data into next session, and some services go off-line for a brief time during the roll. Usually these rolls last around 5-10 minutes.

As always, you're welcome to reach out our support directly, support@activetick.com, or via live chat at https://webhelp.activetick.com/ with any questions you have regarding API.

7. zeerox

zeerox

@activetick
    I have been a paid member of the activetick Dev API, it seems like it doesnt integrate well with Lightspeed API who stopped offering market data altogether, i need to integrate these two APIs, has anyone ventured in this area so far?

Both of these APIs run fine separately, the minute you extend the class, derive class off lightspeed to map activetick, lightspeed doesnt load the DLL anymore.

I tried asking lightspeed folks but they dont think they can answer

I am not sure if this is the right venue to ask this question but it seems like activetick seems to respond here more than on support email :)

8. FX_Sektor

FX_Sektor

I paid for subscription for November for basic Api. It was working good. When subscription was end, I had senn "Login Denied". In december I paid for second month, but still I see "Login denied". Three days was gone after the second paymant but I still see Login denied. They didnt answer for emails and phones!!! What to do? I need to work or take back my 95$

9. bigteks

bigteks

I have been using the Intrinio Nasdaq/QUODD basic real time websocket product for my Lightspeed API data source and have been pretty happy with it. $75/month. They also offer some even lower priced feeds but the data is a lot thinner.