Quest for the Next Big Tradable Trend

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lynx2004, Dec 17, 2004.

1. ckor30

ckor30 Guest

What about the dividend? Didn't you have to pay it?

#51     Jan 26, 2005
  2. short oil.

:D

hank

#52     Jan 26, 2005
  3. Yes dividend was paid on 1/7 & 1/11 2005. The first short position was closed on 12/20 the ex dividend date in that one made only 20c . Then the second short position was established on 12/27 & 12/28 around $34 that one was covered around $31. That one was the major down move.
    Did not reshort from 31.20 level which stock made its next down move...
    However I am sure some other people are holding their shorts...

#53     Jan 26, 2005
  4. ckor30

ckor30 Guest

If I may ask, which brokers do you know that have it available for shorting?

#54     Jan 27, 2005
  5. FWIW, I tried to short CHN thru IB (Interactive Brokers) but it wasn't available for shorting there.

#55     Jan 27, 2005
  6. yes when we see the first signs that the global economy is slowing down, shorting oil could be a huge play -- all this Peak Oil stuff and oil to $100 is the kind of headlines you hear when markets are approaching a top. I like the contrarian play of shorting oil but when is the right time? May be in the spring...I think this time it'll surprise a lot of people when both oil and stock prices start going down in tandem...

I remember late 1998 when they couldn't give away crude at $10/bbl. That was only 6 years ago.

#56     Jan 27, 2005
  7. Buy as much sugar #11 as you can afford and then mortage your house and buy pesos

Thanks

I am currently long and need some support

#57     Jan 27, 2005
  8. nravo

nravo

Well, as each week passes and the VIX drops lower, or so it seeems, the VBI gets more and more tempting, despite the premium to spot. I see so little liquidity here, I sense that no one is playing this contract. How come? Is this something one should stay away from? Or at least wait for a break out?

#58     Jan 31, 2005
  9. I have also been watching VBI (VIX future) over the last few weeks and am wondering about the same questions...VIX keep dribbling lower while the premium also seem to erode each week as nothing big happens. Is there anyone here who has experience trading the VBI future? I am trying to find a way to get long implied vol -- this could be the biggest trade for 2005 if only one can time it!

#59     Feb 1, 2005
  10. mhashe

mhashe

I'm bullish on sugar too. But Pesos?

#60     Feb 1, 2005