Quest for the Next Big Tradable Trend

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lynx2004, Dec 17, 2004.

1. yeah.. looks FXI (FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index Fund) is also an option...I am assuming you can long and short this ETF...

#21     Dec 20, 2004
  2. IB also offeres a USD denominated China contract through CBOE Futures exchange. I think the symbol is CX but you'll have to check.

Volume is almost nothing (actually I haven't traded it yet) but for those US residents without access to HHI, or for IRA account that need to trade in USD, that might also be a good vehicle.

Finally, PTR, SNP & HNP make up some 30% (?) of HHI and all cross listed on NYSE.

#22     Dec 20, 2004
  3. Thanks. I've also added CX (on IB, symbol is CYX) future and those stocks to my quote list. Yes, this could be a good option for those accts which can only trade USD-denominated. Anyone have experience trading these? Any comments on liquidity/bid-offer spread?

http://www.cboe.com/Products/indexopts/cxfutures_spec.aspx

#23     Dec 20, 2004

4. I noticed CX (CYX on IB) H05 contract doesn't trade much at all and currently quoted 294.10 bid at 296.80 offer...yikes! can drive a truck thru that bid/offer spread. It is comparable to a 130 point spread on HSI futures...or a 100 point spread on the dow futures...CX is not for me. Any active/liquid Chinese equity futures mkt out there?

FXI (i Shares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index Fund) is not too bad..at least it trades and quoted around 55.74/55.80 level but not sure about mkt depth (today size seems mostly on the offers).

#24     Dec 20, 2004
  5. FXI is not shortable. I am very surprised.., may be it has changed since 11/30/04
    ETF FACTS

FXI

As of 11/30/2004

Marginable No

Option Tradable No

Short Selling No

Min. Secondary Share Purchase 1

Expense Ratios 0.74%

#25     Dec 20, 2004
  6. I certainly agree...., Euro extremely overbought/overpriced wrt JPY...

#26     Dec 20, 2004
  7. tiocsti

tiocsti

According to the amex, this is not the case any longer.

From www.amex.com

iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index Fund seeks investment results that, before expenses, generally correspond to the price and yield performance of the FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index. iShares are exchange-traded securities that represent ownership in over 70 different index funds compiled by one of following index providers: Standard & Poor's (a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.), Dow Jones & Company, Frank Russell Company, Cohen & Steers Capital Management, Inc., the Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc., Goldman, Sachs & Co., Morgan Stanley Capital International Inc. and FTSE/Xinhua Index Limited. There is no assurance that the price and yield performance of the benchmark index for each fund can be fully matched.

Fund Details

Expense Ratio .74
    Trading Increment .01
    Minimum Trade Size 1
    Marginable Y
    Short Selling Allowed Yes
    Options Traded Yes
    Administrator Investors Bank & Trust Company
    Distributor SEI Investments Distribution Co
    Trustee N.A.

#27     Dec 20, 2004
  8. #28     Dec 21, 2004
  9. Long OJ and cotton in 2005

#29     Dec 21, 2004
  10. I tried entering a short sell order of FXI (just to check) on IB (TWS) but it came back with a message saying it is not available for shorting...???

#30     Dec 21, 2004