Queen Manipulator was at work today

Discussion in 'Trading' started by qdz2, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Umm, what would you consider "honest" market movement? If good news breaks out, but everyone who's bullish is already 100% long, won't the market crack instead? Does that count as manipulation? In my book all market movement is the equivalent of manipulation, in that the only things that move the market are pain of fear or greed. If someone is capable enough to anticipate where the "herd" is likely to experience fear or greed, then all the more power to them.

Today's squeeze wouldn't have been possible unless there were enough shorts in the market to have to scramble out of their positions upon any kind of rumor or stock "news" (doubt JNJ could have caused any kind of panic buying). Volume's been thin all week, doesn't take much buying or selling to push it 20 pts either way.

#21     Feb 13, 2003
  2. qdz2

qdz2

Huh? my comment to you. get out your idiotic insult out of my thread! Moderator, please delete his post (although I accpet the quote here). Thanks.

:p

#22     Feb 13, 2003
  3. "I get Dow Jones news,"

Preach it brother. There's no doubt I've lost the cost of a bloomberg many times over while searching through Dow Jones for news flashes they don't get until after the move.

In my case Jow Jones should just run one continuing news update: "You're cheap, you suck, and you'll never make a dime!"

#23     Feb 13, 2003
  4. Go for it!

G'luck

p.s. hope the wicked manipulators manipulate the market MY way next week! (would you talk to them about that?) Thanks.

:D

#24     Feb 13, 2003
  5. Arnie

Arnie

I don't think its manipulation. maybe people taking advantage of conditions, but not manipulation. With all the recent selling and fear, who's left to sell who hasn't? The least bit of good news, or sign of a rally and were off to the races. At least for the short term. Shorts just got a little to cocky imo.

#25     Feb 13, 2003

6. no, they are usually just erroneous prints, doesnt effect stops

#26     Feb 13, 2003
  7. and no they usually arent "signals" like one thread suggested they might be, liek something out the movie beautiful mind

#27     Feb 13, 2003
  8. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

too many people on one side of the boat. Looks like it's gonna capsize, and they all run to the other side.

#28     Feb 13, 2003
  9. qdz2

qdz2

you are right. certainly, what you described was part of the story. The beginning was that the queen gave her order by showing citizens her big nasty belly full of ... you know... eeeeeeh. Then all citizens who were at the star ran to the port.

:p

#29     Feb 13, 2003
  10. tmb

tmb

Ron In-a-sauna,
    I had in mind systems or platforms that might trigger off the last-traded price, rather than the best bid. Perhaps there are few (if any!) cases in which this would occur.

#30     Feb 14, 2003