quantshare vs amibroker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gueco, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Gueco

Gueco

I am just a trader who finds amibroker is not going anywhere. I love its speed though.

#31     Sep 25, 2013
  2. taowave

taowave

I would clarify what you said..

Amibroker has a particular orientation,and it excels at that. There is a large enough universe of customers who desire what Ami offers,and in fact,would like further development in that area.

I am not computer savvy enough to know if advanced programmers can do all that Master Brain claims Ami can.I only know that there are features in QS that Ami does not appear to offer,and for my style of trading it works best for me. I also know that I seriously underutilize the advanced capabilities of QS.I couldn't begin to compare which program offers more advanced firepower.

Maybe MasterBrain is correct and Ami can do anything,ASSUMING you are an advanced programmer. I doubt it,but its possible.

So to say Ami is going nowhere is an unfair and inaccurate statement,Just as Masterbrains "Ami can do everything QS does".

traders should test both programs and decid which one works best for them

#32     Sep 25, 2013
  3. Oh well, it seems I have to repeat myself. First of all I don't care what software you wanna use. I was just commenting to your claim that you can not retrieve fundamental data with AB. Why should I confirm that is is not possible while in reality it is possible?

I'm a long-term AB user. I know for a fact that you can import fundamental data (macro or company fundamentals) into AB very easily from various sources via plugin or via ASCII. And yes if you want to screen (do you mean to chart or output as table result list? Define "to screen" http://www.thefreedictionary.com/screen) then yes you can do both. You can chart fundamental data, explore and you can backtest on fundamental data.

In regards to "to screen" ... is this http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2659/kmzr.png fundamental data for different symbols or is it not? It is just a few of more data you can retrieve. Or if you wanna chart macro economic data ... why not http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/333/pk5b.gif

And yes, for my needs so far I have not seen anything that can not be done in AB. It is pretty much open architecture. Maybe there is something that can not be done. Sure there is, but haven't explored it yet. Fact is it's getting continuously improved by T.J for years.

But tell me, first you say you are discretionary trader. Now all of the sudden you are talking about backtesting systems.

#33     Sep 25, 2013
  4. Tell me one thing, creating own systems for (automated) trading and having an edge is done in a blink of an eye and doesn't require any knowledge? Earning money from the stock/future/... markets is as easily done as doing a wee-wee every morning?

It seems some people live in a dreamland who just click a few fancy buttons to make the honey arriving. I wanna see that planet with my own eyes.

#34     Sep 25, 2013
  5. taowave

taowave

I have seen many AB users ask for the ability to download HISTORICAL fundamental data,not CURRENT into Amibroker.I haven't seen a response where there was an easy solution.

Just to be clear,I am not talking about yahoo data,so I would appreciate the source of your fundamental data.

As for discretionary traders and implementing backtesting/systems,thats a silly question.Ill answer your question with a question and ll assume you familiar with John Hollinger or Billy Beane??

What does advanced statistical metrics have to do with building a roster in baseball or basketball??

#35     Sep 25, 2013
  6. taowave

taowave

You have no flow,you have no edge,and I sincerely doubt Ami provides any edge over quant hedge funds technology..

Secondly,like most Amibroker users,you are in the system/automated trading niche which requires advanced programming skills. Ami is great for that,but is not all things to all traders,and if it is,you best be an expert programmer..

You do realize that not everyone cares to or wants to be mean reversion/stat arb/automated trader.If you think there is edge in that,knock ourself out and I am sure Amibroker will suit you just fine.

Again,if you are a very capable programmer or want to spend countless hours becoming one,then I agree with you..

If not,there are far better "prebuilt" options out there..

#36     Sep 25, 2013
  7. I wrote about "various sources" but not "one source". You didn't mention any detailed sources by name also. And you didn't mention any type of fundamentals. Why should I?

What I have or don't have is out of your reach (of knowledge). Silly comment. As for what Ami provides in regards to quant hedge fund tech ... neither does QS. So another silly point in regards to the thread title.

I didn 't mention anything about me being an system/auto-trader. Where did I say that? You claim too much without any knowledge. I was wondering because first you mentioned being a fundamental discretionary trader (and not being a computer savvy, well, here we go again talking about knowledge) but then mentioning backtesting all of the sudden. My point was that if you want to take a step into the field of system trading then you need to have (full) knowledge and need to be a very good programmer too. Using prebuilt stuff and not knowing what it is about and what it is doing is a joke.

BTW as everyone knows there are no silly questions. And I don't watch/play Baseball/Basketball. Silly sport.

#37     Sep 25, 2013
  8. taowave

taowave

you haven't mentioned one HISTORICAL fundamental data source that works with Amibroker..On the QS website it is in big bold letters, part of the program and very easy and very powerful.Of couse you know this as you tested the program..

Yeah right,I am quite sure what you do on Amibroker is out of my reach,but I can assure you it wasn't when I was the head trader of equity derivatives/emerging market equity derivatives at a major IB.Give me a @#^&ing break

Interestingly,I have read the very same arrogant comments on the Ami board that you spout regarding other programs being a toy or a joke.Perhaps you have an agenda and there is a reason of your 15 posts,13 of them has appeared on this thread??

P.S. baseball/basketball are 2 sports,not 1

#38     Sep 25, 2013
  9. I mentioned the way of using plugins or ASCII import. Well, and there is Yahoo, as you mentioned. I don't read QS website because it is full of javascript. And I don't activate javascript. You can't even do a simple search without activating javascript.

And I'm the president of of the world.

Huh? Who are you talking about? And where did I spout arrogant comments here about QS being a joke and a toy. Are you totally going crazy now because of having no arguments anymore? Is this becoming kindergarten now? Again you claim too much without any knowledge. One silly comment after another. Only silly people do so. I have 13 posts here because you don't seem to understand my first reply to your claim about fundamental data. And if you want to imply me being affiliated to AB then we have a big problem. Seeing your uprising rage and cursing makes me wonder whether it is you having an agenda or even being that other guy Gueco... now that we are at implying.

Oh, now you are a teacher of English language also. Silly. Talking about having no arguments. Let's talk in my language (not Polish). Wait, we have a probable knowledge problem again.

#39     Sep 25, 2013
  10. Buying prebuilt system (codes) for $60, $100,... or using prebuilt system codes being part of a software installation is like having hundreds of holy grails in you hand making millions of bucks but are rather not jokes. Yeah, right.

#40     Sep 25, 2013