Quants also use technical analysis?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Sorry that you feel I have nothing to contribute. I always playfully poke fun at people who post on anonymous message boards about what they have or haven't done in such a way that it can never be confirmed.

I believe you're caught up in a game of semantics. It also seemed to me that you were judging what you do and finding it intellectually superior to what others do. That was the basic point.

There are others on here who seem to respect the content you are posting. It's all a little too brainy for me. I wish you the best going forward.
    Ummm... yes, ok. So you can say this but I can't razz you about your claims that you're such a brainy guy? And just to let you know, in case you missed it, the one thing that comes across in the way you write is how smart you think you are. You may as well not bother denying it - best not to bring it up at all.
    That means you're real smart, right? The most advanced? Do dumb people work on the most advanced quantatative models?
    Do people as smart as you generally call other people they don't know 'morons'? Wouldn't someone as smart as you see that doing that would be a waste of time and energy? On an anonymous internet board?? Wouldn't that be something a non-contributor like me would do??

#61     Nov 20, 2007
  2. High frequency trading and lousy 1.500.000 USD ( 1.000.000 EUR ) a year ? Come on ! :confused:

#62     Nov 21, 2007
  3. IluvVol,

your remuneration definetely > 1.500.000 USD, or ? :confused:

#63     Nov 21, 2007
  4. nitro

nitro

I don't even know what ninja trader is, although I like ninja movies?

nitro

#64     Nov 22, 2007
  5. This in no way "proves" that these groups are very profitable...
    That hi-frequency or other algo trading is very profitable...
    ONLY that every Big Player has to play.

And the cost of playing is so high...
    With 6 figure engineers and, allegedly, 7 figure trading talent...
    Plus astronomical fixed monthly TECH bills...

That, imo, it's the usual Zero Sum Game...
    With > 90% of the algo players losing money...
    And < 10% showing a profit.

I have a theory that all these black boxes just cancel each other out...
    Just create additional noise...
    That can be ignored by other Players.

#65     Nov 22, 2007
  6. IluvVol: just curious, what was your phd in and what do you do currently? also, i recall your posting that you work in japan?

#66     Jan 2, 2008
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

That can be true, but they can all still make money at the end of the month, year. :)

Using an analogy: let's say we have several guides on a safari tour. They each use different methods determining the correct way to reach our destination. They quite often disagree with each other, but as long as all reach the desired location (and let's say we don't go around the globe), they are fine by me....

#67     Jan 2, 2008

8. true.

mystics make correct decisions and predictions, also, at times.

happy new year!

surf

#68     Jan 2, 2008
  9. #69     Jan 2, 2008
  10. #70     Jan 2, 2008