Quants also use technical analysis?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, Nov 19, 2007.

1. IluvVol

IluvVol

QUANTSteve, you are the man, come on, tell us all about your name and what you do ;-)

#51     Nov 20, 2007
  2. Sorry, i do not talk to dudes who wink at other dudes.

#52     Nov 20, 2007
  3. IluvVol

IluvVol

I apologize for haveing winked at the "tough American dude". BTW, how do you know I am a dude. Its always dangerous to draw too quick conclusions.

Take it easy and dont forget to play the ball low.

#53     Nov 20, 2007
  4. Guys, please, you gotta chill out. Just munch on some fur and guzzle some Jim Beam and all will be sweet.

I mean why we can't we have Ito with Wilder, Girsanov with Blau, Black with Lane, Miller with Williams, etc, etc? Can't we all just get along? :D

#54     Nov 20, 2007
  5. What a bunch of little bitches.

#55     Nov 20, 2007
  6. nitro

nitro

Not on the low end by any means surf. Let me give you an example. Some of the developers of the VIX product at the CBOE are model builders and traders.

Once again, you assume that the human resource department at these places are the thought police on language. Surf, let me tell you something, only the low end (to use your deragetary term) get jobs through human resources. Those people have no clue who the real talent is. That is why you see all these words that are meaningless on job requirements, like "quant."

We are not talking about anyone surf. If Ed Witten walked into RenTec, would he be hired? Why is the answer yes, and a blank check would be signed to get him on board? He has never developed a trading model in his life, and yet he would be put on the most sophisticated project on the planet in finance. All "quant" means is someone trained in the sciences, and makes decisions and builds models based on data or theoretical arguments. What the human resource department says a quant is only meant for people that have no clue.

Let me give you a counter example. Imagine any quant you like, it doesn't matter who it is. The only criteria that I impose is that he does not trade so that your definition stands. Now, imagine that this person decides to form his own hedge fund. He does IDENTICALLY what he did at his job, but also trades the model, adding discretionary hedging. Is he no longer a quant by your definition? Do you see how ridiculous your language jail is?

nitro

#56     Nov 20, 2007
  7. BJL

BJL

Quantitative » Junior Quant - Algorithmic Trading
    Junior Quant - Algorithmic Trading

$180,000 - $250,000
    Description:

HRG is looking for recent PhD's in Math or Science to join a newly formed quant trading team carved out at a prestigious Hedge Fund. Looking for brilliant minds who are eager to learn from the best. Need strong communication skills and dynamic personality with a hunger to work long and hard to learn the algo trading business.

Job Reference #: CJ122

#57     Nov 20, 2007
  8. BJL

BJL

Quantitative » Fixed Income/Rates Algorithmic Trader
    Fixed Income/Rates Algorithmic Trader

$1,000,000 - $1,500,000
    Description:

HRG has a senior trading role within major financial firm's Fixed Income Algorithmic trading group. The group is responsible for originating and developing high frequency trading strategies falling under:

a. Market making- algorithms that focus on execution of internally and externally generated flow.

b. Basis trading between products and markets focusing on high frequency market structure

c. Proprietary strategies focusing on directional market indicators based on customer flow and other internally available information

This group runs as a global business- leveraging trading strategies into their European and Japanese markets. Individual will work to develop solid risk management frameworks.

Responsibilities:

* Manage the research within Proprietary Trading.

* Develop auto-execution business.

* Develop personal trading systems in collaboration with other team members.

* Key contact for market participants to remain up to date with all industry algorithmic developments.

Requirements:

This is a high profile position calling for demonstrated 2-4 years of algo trading experience.

Quantitative » Algorithmic Trading Quant
    Algorithmic Trading Quant

$250,000 - $300,000
    Description:

HRG is looking for a strong, up and coming Quant Analyst to join one of the strongest Algorithmic trading teams in the world.
    Requirements:

PhD in Applied Math is desired...will consider other strong PhD's. Ideal candidate will have 1-2 years experience in equities or algo trading.

Quantitative » Equity Derivatives Trader
    Equity Derivatives Trader

$300,000 - $500,000
    Description:

Quantitative equity arbitrage fund seeks proprietary listed options, convertible bonds, and equity derivatives traders.
    Requirements:

The ideal candidate has a degree from a top university in computer science or applied math, a strong quantitative background and strong programming skills (1-2 years in a professional business environment). Previous equity derivatives experience is a plus, although firm is willing to train candidates with appropriate academic and technical backgrounds who have a strong interest in trading.

#58     Nov 20, 2007
  9. People who pay $1000 a month to control $500,000 real state asset hoping 20% gain per year. If the asset does not go up in value, they just walk away. Basically these are investors paid minimum premiums for calls, and banks buy 100% underlining security (delta hedge 100%).

Why bank financial stocks got sold out today, finally someone(codedeep007) pointed out what's wrong with CDOs in quant term.

It's so simple. You don't need to study and practice stochastic calculus on a daily basis

#59     Nov 20, 2007
  10. Ah, I see. You must have made that observation under one of your other usernames.

;)

#60     Nov 20, 2007