Quants also use technical analysis?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, Nov 19, 2007.

1. IluvVol

IluvVol

So, where is your contribution besides questioning peoples claims? I am happy to walk you through a number of the most often used interest rate models because I think thats what most quants work with/on in the fixed income arena. I can speak less about the equity side but I highly doubt anyone looks at some indicators or most common used technical analysis. We can debate for an eternity what you and I mean about TA or quant but why cant we settle on the most common usuage and meaning of TA and quants? I think TA for most means the investigation of past prices and deriving certain conclusions that are supposed to guide in the discovery of future price levels. This I dont think any quant in any of the sell-side firms does!!! As an aside note, there are CTAs at sell-side firms that use TAs but quants generally dont bother with any past price action.

#41     Nov 20, 2007
  2. bellman

bellman

hey, don't diss the geico caveman. it was a good series until recently!!!!!!!

I'm serious/

#42     Nov 20, 2007
  3. bellman

bellman

does anybody on this board care about fixed income interest rate models? And this comes from a fellow volunteer.

#43     Nov 20, 2007
  4. I don't know where you people get your information on quants... craigslist?

IluvVol has posted some incredibly accurate information on both what quants do and how they do it. Their work has nothing, <b>nothing</b> to do with TA. The misconceptions posted here stem from the fact that some of you, not only being 110% successful at retail trading but are also (retail) “quants”. IluvVol has given you great quant insight into what the industry quants are working on now. I suggest you do some research on your own and talk to the real quants, not just the esteemed craigslist/ET “quants”, who couldn’t decipher Ito’s lemma from Euler’s formula, not to mention apply it in their own model building. Good luck to all you quants, your chart patterns will <b>almost surely</b> contribute to your ‘successful quantitative trading’.

#44     Nov 20, 2007
  5. LOL man its fun reading about 2 nerds going at it around 1am. Get a life you guys! As for math im taking algebra 2 in high school now and will take pre calc my senior year. IMHO it is a complete joke and complex math is completely worthless to me exept it gives me a little chance to get a nap in during the day. You guys can fight about this all you want and I know im going to get critisized for this post but I don't really care. First people were using fundamentals then technicals but now math? What the hell man!

#45     Nov 20, 2007

6. on the low end, nitro, perhaps.

many are hired to be creative, to break out of pre existing limitations. however, this does not include changing definitions, "belief", or fantasy. if that was the case, anyone could call themselves anything if they only "believed" enough.

language jail?? using definitions correctly is likened to a jail? specifics are a liberating factor not a tool for subjugation. i really have no idea what you are talking about.

this is the real world, not a science novel where the playing field can be altered at will.

surf

#46     Nov 20, 2007

7. nitro created ninja trader???

you can't be serious.

surf

:D :eek: :D

#47     Nov 20, 2007
  8. IluvVol

IluvVol

I did not say, I asked. I did not read all of his 9000+ posts so I dont know ;-)

I just remember a while back (few years actually) that he was either heavily defending Ninja trader or its developer.

#48     Nov 20, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

No.

#49     Nov 20, 2007
  10. 1) nitro created "the internet"
    2) al gore created "ninja trader"

(or vice versa...)
    :cool:

#50     Nov 20, 2007