Quants also use technical analysis?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Quants also use technical analysis?

2. outstanding post Sir.

3. No

4. Corelio

Corelio

NO

5. nitro

nitro

Yep.

But your question is poorly worded imo. Quants the use technical analysis when trading. I make no use of TA when building models. However, I do make use of Fundamental Analysis when building models.

Didn't mean to confuse you :D

nitro

6. Conventional TA? No.

"TA" in the sense of analyzing price and making purely price-based trades? But of course.

7. you speak for yourself only. im not a quant, but if a quant i interviewed said he uses TA, he would not be hired. they are not hired to look at pretty charts and find averages. quants should understand the inherent flaws in TA.

:D:eek:

8. you speak for yourself only. im not a quant, but if a quant i interviewed said he uses TA, he would not be hired. they are not hired to look at pretty charts and find averages. quants should understand the inherent flaws in TA.

Anything can be quantified should be called TA (PS,PE...) Those all can be analyzed by computer.

Some financial modeling are just bullsh*t: for example try to earn 2% better than the saving account based false assumption like this CDO ...

According W.B., modern Financial Engineering teaches people to do average 7%>5% is an example.

Sadly people are only interested in hiring someone can write complex statistical differential equations, we are so happy to see their ass got kicked.

9. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i read this, and am at a loss for words - so i will lurk and try to wake up from this bad dream. mb

ps i feel like i am at a party with the cave men from gieco....

10. i don't agree.

TA allows for subjective interpretation, this is evident in the fact that multiple TA people can look at the same chart pattern but reach differing conclusions.

as the gifted statistician, Dr. M. states: " the essential difference remains: TA is defined by its data domain and quant tactics by their methodology and that is the quintessential distinction"

hats off to Dr. M.

surf
    :) :)

#10     Nov 19, 2007