Quantopian

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Sergio77, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Sergio77

Sergio77

I think he is saying that some people may try to convince others to develop systems in their platform with the objective of profiting from them. I think Quantopian advertises this openly and promises a cut. They are sincere about it. The question is how long the edge if any will last when the algo is shared by commercials.

#21     Aug 15, 2016
  2. userque

userque

He didn't say that. Here's exactly what he said, "Why using any vendor to develop or sell a system if it works? Just trade it yourself with money from relatives and make everyone rich. The rest are excuses for snake oil."

#22     Aug 15, 2016
  3. IMO Quantopian is a legit operation and quite interesting. I follow the PAL blog among several others and Mike Harris has joined Quantocracy and he has also added capability to his software for generating code to use there. There is interesting discussion in the forum. I do not think there is need to worry about someone stealing your code and investors will not have access to code and I also think they are not interested in the codes, they only want profit.

#23     Aug 18, 2016
  4. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

The financial technology sector has a real issue with IP protection especially when it comes to trading algorithms that aren't exposed to the market and not easily patented.

Can Trading Technologies see your algos via their ADL platform?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
    #24     Aug 18, 2016
  5. You get what you pay for. Quantopian also fails to be able to product Tick bars....which are essential IMHO for short-term automated trading. I think their most granual bar is a 1 minute bar.

#25     Aug 18, 2016
  6. Sig

Sig

As was already mentioned in the thread.

#26     Aug 18, 2016
  7. Sergio77

Sergio77

You are correct, no tick bars. I checked again after a while and documentation has improved significantly. Still without tick bars their fill model produces much better backtests than when using higher granularity that is common. Also I noticed the platform is gaining popularity among some well-known traders. E.G. Mike Harris updated his PAL software to generate code for Quantopian and he has an example in his blog. After reading the article some of the advantages became clearer. I think i will start spending some time there.

#27     Aug 20, 2016
  8. No. Your algos are encrypted and you have the key.

#28     Aug 20, 2016
  9. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Thanks Patrick, that just adds to the excitement I already have about your product which I hope to start using shortly.

#29     Aug 20, 2016
    patrickrooney likes this.
  10. Great to hear @lovethetrade. I'd love to get your feedback on the TT platform.

#30     Aug 20, 2016
    lovethetrade likes this.