quant skills ( VAR, greek analysis?)

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by congoboy, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Are the questions like "What's 92 times 34?" to measure how many registers you have in your brain or something? I think I do OK with those.

Now, the logic and probability questions.. I can't say I nailed any of them though I've worked through them with interviewer help. I'm not sure if that counts for anything.

Are there any good resources for working through a bunch of puzzle problems like these? (I mean hundreds, not just a few problems)

#31     Jan 10, 2008
  2. That was some nice brologic there...
    3 weights does not guarantee you get the odd-ball: you need n attempts to guarantee you get the light ball. Now you only ever need to compare 2 balls and the moment you have 2 that are different weights, the lighter one is the odd-ball obviously.

The fact remains the complexity of that runtime is O(n).

Regards,

#32     Jan 10, 2008
  3. Try re-thinking this one but consider that you can weigh more than 2 balls at a time.

#33     Jan 10, 2008
  4. Bollocks, who said you can only weigh one ball against another?

1). Weigh 7 against other 7. Pick heaviest group.

2). Remove one ball from heavy group, and weigh 3 against 3. If these are equal then the removed ball is the heaviest and you have found it in 2 weighings. If not, pick the heaviest group of 3 balls from the weighing.

3). Remove one ball from the selected heavier group of 3. From these 2, Weigh 1 against 1. If they are different you found the heaviest ball. if they are equal, then the heaviest is the one you removed.

There you go, guaranteed to find the heaviest ball in max of 3 weighings, (2 if you get lucky, but not guaranteed).

You're welcome.

#34     Jan 10, 2008
  5. Jimmy3

Jimmy3

What's the answer for wall/ball and square questions ???

#35     Jan 30, 2008
  6. jnbadger

jnbadger

Assuming the ball is catching up with the wall (it would have to be since it eventually hits it) and moving at 60 MPH relative to the wall which is moving 120 MPH, it will then bounce backward at 60 MPH relative to the wall, and subsequently be stationary in space.

Answer = Zero.

#36     Jan 30, 2008
  7. Jimmy3

Jimmy3

Thanks, do you know the answer for square question too ?

#37     Jan 30, 2008
  8. What's the point? You can be a sucessful trader without knowing the answer to any of these. If you want to be a quant, well that's another story.

#38     Jan 31, 2008
  9. Jimmy3

Jimmy3

I don't want to be a quant but I don't want to be a retard either
    :)

#39     Jan 31, 2008
  10. jnbadger

jnbadger

I'm having trouble with that one. I volunteer to bring beer and krispy kreams to the next tard meeting.:(

#40     Feb 1, 2008