Quadraplegic dumped from wheelchair by a deputy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hughb, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Turok

Turok

DD:
    Respect is a form of diplomacy.

On this we completely argree, but in my world it applies equally to both sides.

JB

#41     Feb 14, 2008
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

"shut-up" was not meant becuase the teenager was out of hand..it was meant to keep the cop from going postal on the kid...which in the end is always the right thing to do..no matter how wrong the cop is.....face it DD..the cop was wrong..peace

#42     Feb 14, 2008
  3. Turok

Turok

On think that I think is being overlooked here (and by the deranged cop) is the word "dude" is used regularly in the surf/skate culture as an expression of disbelief and expecially a questioning disbelief -- as in

"Duude!" (I can't believe this is happening)

JB

#43     Feb 14, 2008
  4. Turok

Turok

EC:
    >"shut-up" was not meant becuase the teenager
    >was out of hand..it was meant to keep the cop
    >from going postal on the kid...which in the end
    >is always the right thing to do..no matter how
    >wrong the cop is

Exactly.

JB

#44     Feb 14, 2008
  5. LT701

LT701

i've criticised the cop harshly, but i'll say this, just because your part of a skate/surfer culture does not absolve you of your obligations to recognize where the jusrisdiction of that culture ends, such as when talking to a policeman

#45     Feb 14, 2008
  6. DerekD

DerekD

Exactly. I'm amazed that this is even a cause for contention among adults.

It goes without saying that the officer went outside of acceptable behavior for an officer. But the lesson missed is how teenagers should behave in the presence of authority. I suppose those who wish the absolve the teenagers of violating the law and for failing to properly address a public official must have some sort of kindred spirit with them.

And it's nonsense that the teens didn't know that they aren't allowed to skateboard there. Nearly all parks and public spaces have signs that say no skateboarding. They've seen enough YouTube videos to know. Spots on MTV and cable stations catering to their crowd. It's nearly common knowledge.

I knew it going back 20 years ago.

#46     Feb 14, 2008
  7. Turok

Turok

I'm confused. Do you think one has an *obligation* to speak to a disrespectful cop respectfully, or do you think it's just a good idea from a practical standpoint?

JB

#47     Feb 14, 2008
  8. Turok

Turok

DD:
    >I suppose those who wish the absolve the teenagers
    >of violating the law and for failing to properly address
    >a public official must have some sort of kindred spirit
    >with them.

If you've heard anyone on this thread attempt to "absolve" the teens of violating the law, it hasn't been me. Ticket them, confiscate their boards, call their parents, take them in, whatever the law allows to the fullest.

You and I simply disagree on the "proper" way to address a disrespectful and out of control public official.

JB

#48     Feb 14, 2008
  9. LT701

LT701

both

there are standards of behavior for every role

the kid made a *minor* infraction of these rules

the cop made a *very major* infraction of the rules

the former, does not justify the latter, but the latter does not nullify the former

on the rare occasion i get pulled over, i pull over right away. dome light on, keys out of the ignition, hands on the wheel with licence and registration in left hand. sunglasses off if it's daytime

don't make eye contact if reaching for anything

message? not "i'm kissing your ass or subservient to you", but "i'm not armed or going to make a surprise move, i'm a generally law abiding citizen, your safety is not in question, we can get down to business. this isnt the stop where you get shot. whatever i did, it's minor and i'm not hiding anything"

you say all that without opening your mouth at all

a cop told me this, that you're more likely to get a return courtesy, if your actions show a concern for your mutual safety in the stop

#49     Feb 14, 2008
  10. It is a matter of "respecting" the uniform/badge, not the person.

People kill and be killed on a personal level in the hood over convoluted concepts of "respect". The people in the hood killing re respect, it is because they have absolutley nothing in their life except the "thin air" of respect.

People who disrespect the President because they don't like the man are wrong.

#50     Feb 14, 2008